31 -

After watching a movie peacefully in the living room, Ellie felt a weight settle on her shoulder. She turned her head slightly and saw that Billie had fallen asleep, her breathing slow and steady. A tender smile spread across Ellie's lips. This moment felt surreal, yet incredibly calming. They had chosen a light movie, but halfway through, Billie, exhausted from the tour and her travels, had gradually drifted off, her head resting gently on Ellie's shoulder.

The light from the film cast soft shadows on Billie's face, highlighting the tranquility of her features. Ellie hesitated to wake her, secretly enjoying this moment of closeness, even if Billie wasn't aware of it. Finally, she whispered softly,

"Billie, it's time to go to sleep."

Billie let out a slight grunt, almost like a purr, before slowly sitting up, her eyes half-open.

"Hmm... did I fall asleep?" she asked, her voice still laced with fatigue.

Ellie smiled, amused.

"About three-quarters of the movie, but that's normal, the trip has worn you out. Come on, let's go to bed."

Billie nodded, still a bit drowsy. They each returned to their respective rooms. Ellie sat on her bed for a moment, her thoughts swirling around this shared moment, before finally lying down, a smile still on her face. The intimacy of the evening resonated within her in a way she struggled to explain.

The next morning, Joan was the first to get up. He headed to the kitchen to make coffee when he heard footsteps behind him. It was Billie.

-----

"Did you sleep well?" Joan asked with a smile.

Billie nodded, rubbing her eyes slightly.

"Yeah, it feels good to just chill. Thanks again for inviting me, it's really nice here."

Joan poured her a cup of coffee, and they started chatting about this and that. Quickly, the conversation shifted to Ellie. Billie seemed curious and admiring.

"Ellie is really amazing" she said. "I mean, she seems so genuine, she doesn't expect anything from me, and you wouldn't believe how rare that is..."

Joan smiled, nodding.

"Yeah, I can confirm that. She has a gift for it. Meeting her changed my life too. She makes everyone around her a little better, even if her own life hasn't been simple."

Billie agreed, thoughtful. She knew that meeting Ellie had marked a turning point in her life, in her own way. Far from the frenzy of her career, she had found in Ellie a friendship that connected her to a simpler, more authentic reality. Billie opened her mouth to continue, but just then, Ellie emerged, her hair still a mess and a teasing smile on her lips.

"What are you two plotting?" she said as she joined them. "Talking a lot about me?"

Joan and Billie exchanged a knowing glance, refusing to say a word.

"It's a secret," Joan said with a wink, pretending to lock his lips.

Ellie raised an eyebrow, amused but also a little frustrated at not knowing what they were saying behind her back.

"Seriously? You're not going to say anything?" she huffed, crossing her arms and pretending to pout.

"No," Billie smiled, sipping her coffee, "it's classified top secret."

Ellie shot them a mock exasperated look before heading to the kitchen to pour herself a cup of coffee.

"I'm going to make you spill the beans, even if I have to resort to violence," she said, sitting down with them.

Soon after, Aubrey came down the stairs, dragging her feet and looking grumpy as usual in the morning.

"Too early for conversations..." she mumbled before collapsing into a chair, her eyes still half-closed.

Everyone burst out laughing, used to Aubrey's morning mood.

Meanwhile, Shark and Livaï, already full of energy, were running around the apartment, eager to go outside. Shark barked happily, and Livaï followed in his excitement, circling around Ellie.

"Alright, looks like it's time to take these two out," Ellie said, getting up to grab Livaï's leash.

"Yep, they look ready," Billie added, getting up as well, ready to join.

Staying true to herself, Billie put on an oversized outfit, her signature style, but added a pair of sunglasses and a hoodie this time, hoping to go incognito.

"Oh really?" Ellie teased gently. "You look like a serial killer."

Billie shrugged, an amused smile on her lips.

"You're joking, but you'll be glad not to be swarmed by a hundred people," she replied with a wink.

They left the apartment with the dogs, who were joyfully pulling at their leashes, too eager to explore the parks in the city. Ellie was excited to show Billie her favorite spots, the places where she loved to walk and felt at home. After a few minutes of walking, they stopped at a peaceful park, surrounded by trees and winding paths.

The dogs ran and played together, giving the girls a moment of calm. They sat on a bench, observing the scene.

"It's beautiful here," Billie murmured, her eyes drifting off into the landscape. "Thanks for showing me all this."

Ellie smiled, proud to share this place with her friend.

"I love this spot," she admitted. "It's one of my favorite places in the city. We come here often with Joan and Aubrey... it's sort of our refuge."

After a moment of peaceful silence, Billie turned her head towards Ellie, a suddenly more serious look on her face, but her eyes sparkled with childlike curiosity.

"Ellie, can I ask you a question?" she asked softly, her voice almost hesitant.

Ellie raised an eyebrow, intrigued.

"Of course, go ahead," she replied, unaware of the direction the conversation would take.

Billie took a deep breath, seemingly searching for the right words.

"I wanted to ask you... well, if it's not too much to talk about... it's just that... you never talk about your mom. Why not?"

Ellie felt her stomach knot slightly at the mention of her mother. She had never broached this topic with Billie, nor with many people for that matter. It was a part of her life she often kept to herself, a wound she had never quite healed.