2 -

Two months had passed since Ellie's encounter with Billie Eilish, and while her daily life hadn't radically changed, a new determination fueled her. That unexpected moment with the artist had reminded her of what mattered most: her passion for photography. Since then, Ellie had immersed herself even deeper into her work, attending every concert she could, capturing raw emotions from the spectators, the musicians, and the brightly lit stages.

Today, she was juggling her job at a coffee shop, where she worked part-time to fund her history studies, which she was pursuing more out of obligation than desire. Her heart beat for photography, but that passion didn't pay the bills. To make ends meet, she still had to manage cappuccinos, espressos, and takeout orders.

Ellie spent those long workdays with her two best friends and roommates, Joan and Aubrey. The trio ran the café together, and even though the work wasn't always thrilling, they always found a way to make it bearable, even fun. That morning, Joan was in charge of the espresso machine, while Aubrey, as laid-back as ever, took orders, leaning casually against the counter. She didn't say much, but her sweet smile and endearing personality made her an indispensable part of their little team.

Joan: "You really picked the best day to shoot tomorrow. You're going to see The Weeknd, how crazy is that? I'm so jealous!"

Ellie, cleaning a few cups behind the counter, smiled at the thought. The next day, she had managed to secure a pass to photograph The Weeknd's concert. It wasn't her first time shooting a big artist, but this one held special significance for her. She loved his dark, cinematic aesthetic and knew the photos would be unique.

Ellie: "Dude I can't wait !! you have no idea. The photos are going to be amazing. The way he plays with light and atmosphere during his concerts... it's just incredible."

Aubrey: "Can you stop spreading your excitement around me? I'm trying to focus on the model who just walked into the café, damn he look like Rudy Pankow"

Ellie chuckled softly, shaking her head. Aubrey always had that nonchalant tone, but Ellie knew deep down she was excited for her. Meanwhile, Joan was busy juggling orders while keeping an eye on Ellie.

Joan: "You should probably shoot the audience too. Like, the way they react when he drops his biggest hits. It must be intense."

Ellie nodded.

Ellie: "That's definitely the plan. I want to capture as many emotions as possible."

The bell above the café door chimed as a wave of customers entered, and the brief pause the trio had taken to chat quickly faded. Service resumed, and for the next few hours, it was a whirlwind of coffee and pastry orders. After their shift, Ellie, Joan, and Aubrey headed back to their apartment together. They lived in a spacious four-bedroom shared flat, each having their own bathroom, which helped avoid morning arguments. It was a small luxury in their somewhat chaotic daily lives, but it made their shared living situation harmonious. Their apartment was both a refuge and a playground, filled with posters, old vinyl records, and countless shared memories.

Ellie entered her own space and collapsed onto her bed, Livaï, her Australian shepherd, rushing over to lick her face. She smiled, affectionately scratching the head of her loyal companion. Livaï had helped her through many tough moments, especially after the loss of her mother when she was still a teenager. Her mother had meant everything to her, and her passing had left a void that no one could fill. As for her father... their relationship was a cold, distant remnant. He sent money every month—$500—as if he could buy a place in her life. But that money had never made up for his emotional absence.

Joan and Aubrey were hanging out in the living room, debating which movie to watch that night, but Ellie had other things on her mind. She settled at her desk, her camera in hand, and began preparing her gear for the concert the next day. Charging batteries, checking lenses, organizing her SD card. She loved this ritual, this moment of calm before the storm.

Aubrey poked her head through the slightly open door, her face neutral but her eyes sparkling with amusement.

Aubrey: "Ready for tomorrow? You're going to slay it with your camera."

Ellie nodded.

Ellie: "Yeah. I hope it's as good as I imagine. It's not every day you get to shoot a The Weeknd concert."

Joan (yelling from the living room): "Don't have nightmares thinking about it! And don't forget to bring me back a concert t-shirt!"

Aubrey: "I won't keep you any longer, rest up, and if there's an extra shirt, feel free to grab one for me."

Ellie: "An extra shirt? Is that a better way to ask?"

Aubrey: "I didn't want to be as rude as Joan," she said, gently closing the door.

Ellie smiled at this remark; she loved their dynamic. They formed a little family by choice, an essential support system for Ellie, especially in moments of self-doubt.

After preparing everything, she collapsed onto her bed, Livaï snuggling up next to her. She felt excitement bubbling within her, the anticipation of the coming day. Tomorrow, she would dive back into her world, behind the lens, where she felt most herself. Photography was more than a passion; it was her escape, her means of expression. And she was ready to do whatever it took to make it her life.