4 -

The next morning, Ellie emerged from her sleep, still tired but wearing a smile as she thought about the previous evening. She dragged herself out of her room, drawn by the smell of coffee wafting through the apartment. Entering the kitchen, she found Joan and Aubrey already at the table, deep in conversation. Joan, always bubbly and full of energy, was talking way too much, while Aubrey, as usual, listened silently, her gaze a little distant.

Ellie sat down at the table, a slight smile on her lips. She couldn't keep the exciting news that was bubbling up inside her to herself any longer.

Ellie: "You're never going to guess what happened to me last night!"

Joan looked up, intrigued: "What? Tell us everything! You know I hate secrets!"

Aubrey took a sip of her coffee, patiently waiting for the news. Ellie bit her lip, savoring the anticipation before dropping the bomb.

Ellie: "I got a message from Billie Eilish."

A stunned silence fell over the room. Joan's eyes widened, his mouth forming a perfect "O" of surprise. Aubrey raised an eyebrow, intrigued but much more subdued in her reaction.

Joan: "WHAT?! Are you kidding me?! A message from Billie Eilish? Like, THE Billie Eilish?!"

Ellie nodded, a nervous smile spreading across her face:
"Yes, we're talking about the same one. She saw the photos I posted last night, and she sent me a message saying she thought they were amazing."

Aubrey calmly set her cup down, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips:
"That's... impressive. I knew your photos were good, but this is completely insane. So, what did you reply?"

Joan bounced in his seat with excitement, eager to know what happened next:
"Yeah, what did you say? Did you invite her for coffee at our place, or maybe...?? Spill!"

At that moment, Ellie's smile faded slightly. She ran a hand through her hair, feeling uneasy:
"Well... I just liked her message. That's all."

A silence settled over the kitchen. Joan remained frozen, incredulous, while Aubrey frowned slightly.

Joan: "Wait, what?! You got a message from Billie Eilish, and all you did was like her message?! Are you serious?"

Ellie shrugged, clearly embarrassed: "Yeah... I know, I know, it was stupid. But I panicked! I didn't know what to say without sounding completely fangirlish or awkward."

Aubrey nodded slowly, her face impassive: "We can understand the pressure, but Joan has a point. You should definitely reply to her, Ellie. This is a rare opportunity."

Joan: "Seriously, a simple like... It's like you responded with 'Cool, thanks' when you had the chance to start a real conversation! It's a dream for so many people, and you just ignored it!"

Ellie sighed and took a sip of coffee to muster some courage. Her friends were right. She absolutely had to respond to Billie, but she needed to find the right words.

Ellie: "You're totally right. I'll think about it today; I just want to avoid being awkward."

Aubrey nodded encouragingly, while Joan relaxed a bit, although still somewhat frustrated.

Aubrey: "Why don't you just tell her the truth? Let her know you took your time posting the photos because you were a little nervous after your meeting. That you wanted them to be perfect. She'll probably appreciate your honesty."

Ellie smiled at that idea. It was indeed the best option. Just telling the truth, no embellishments. She stood up from the table, ready to formulate her message, but suddenly her phone vibrated on the table, catching her attention.

She picked it up and saw a new email. The logo of a Detroit newspaper immediately caught her eye. Curious, she opened the message and was left speechless.

Ellie: "Guys, you won't believe this..."

Joan leaned in immediately, his eyes wide with curiosity:
"What now? Did you get another message from Billie?!"

Ellie shook her head: "No, but... a Detroit newspaper just contacted me. They want to buy some of my photos of Billie for an article they're preparing about her concert."

Aubrey: "Wow, that's huge. They want to publish your photos?"

Ellie nodded, rereading the email to make sure she wasn't dreaming. "Yes, they're asking if I'm interested in selling them for publication."

Joan: "This is a sign, Ellie! Your photos are amazing, and now people know it. My roommate, the star."

Ellie felt a wave of pride wash over her. This professional recognition was unexpected. But she knew she had to stay focused. She took a deep breath.

Ellie: "Okay, I need to reply to them, but first... I need to take care of Billie."

Joan nodded enthusiastically: "Yes, one thing at a time. But please, be a bit more creative than just liking her message this time!"

Ellie walked toward her room, flopping onto her bed with her phone still in hand. She took a deep breath before reopening Billie's message. It was crazy to think she had received such a personal, simple, and direct message.

She started typing.

Ellie (in her message):
"Hey Billie, I just wanted to say thank you. Honestly, I took two months to post the photos because I wanted them to be perfect. I was a bit scared to share that moment, but I'm really glad you liked them."

She read and reread her message, checking to see if it sounded good. It was simple and sincere, everything she wanted to say. She pressed "Send" and let her phone drop back onto her bed, a wave of relief washing over her. It was done.

The rest of the day unfolded in a flurry of activity. She quickly got to work responding to the Detroit newspaper, explaining that she was open to their proposal and that she would like to discuss the details of publication and compensation. She had never done this before, but she knew it was an opportunity she couldn't miss.

Between her job at the café and her studies, Ellie kept her mind busy, but in the back of her head, she constantly thought about her messages: the one she sent to Billie and the opportunity that was opening up with the newspaper.

That evening, after a long day, Ellie flopped onto her bed, exhausted but strangely satisfied. She opened her phone reflexively, wondering if Billie had seen her message.

To her surprise, a new notification appeared on the screen. A new Instagram message. Her heart skipped a beat.

She clicked on the alert and read the message.

Billie: "I completely understand. Sometimes, the timing just has to be right. Your photos are really special, and I'm glad you shared them."

Ellie froze for a moment, a smile slowly spreading across her lips. Billie Eilish had just replied to her again. Not only had she seen her message, but she had taken the time to respond. It was unreal.