35 -

The party was in full swing in the apartment. Ellie and Billie had settled into a corner of the couch, chatting quietly, their voices blending into the buzz of conversations and music around them. Despite the chaos, Ellie seemed completely focused on what Billie was saying. Their connection was palpable, marked by exchanged smiles and glances that spoke volumes. Every time Billie spoke, Ellie listened as if she were the only person in the room.

Suddenly, Joan burst into their bubble, a mischievous smile on his face. "Come on, Billie! You're going to get swallowed by the couch," he said, grabbing her hand. "It's time for Beer Pong, get your ass over here."

Billie stood up, a little surprised but amused. "I'm coming, I'm coming!" she said, laughing softly as she followed Joan to the game table. Ellie smiled as she watched them walk away.

A few minutes later, Ellie joined Billie at the Beer Pong table. They decided to team up, and it quickly became obvious that they were unbeatable. Their movements were synchronized, and their chemistry was a joy to behold. Each time they scored a point, they high-fived, laughed together, and seemed completely absorbed in each other. The other guests watched them play with a certain admiration, their connection hard to ignore.

After a few victories, Ellie excused herself to grab some cups from the kitchen. Left alone, Billie stretched and grabbed her water bottle from the table, catching her breath. That was when Chloé appeared, slowly approaching her. She walked with confidence, but her eyes revealed a certain tension. Billie hadn't expected a confrontation and let her smile fade, watching Chloé with curiosity.

"So, you're the famous Billie Eilish," Chloé began, her voice soft but calculated. She let the silence linger, as if ensuring her name hung heavily in the air.

Billie nodded, staying on guard. "In the flesh."

Chloé moved a little closer, her eyes locked on Billie. "You know, Ellie and I have known each other for a long time. I've seen how she can manipulate people, and I'm sure that if she's so close to you, it's only because of the fame you bring her. She's not who you think she is."

Surprised by the veiled attack, Billie furrowed her brows slightly. Chloé's voice, which had started off gentle, took on a sharper tone, as if she had been waiting a long time to launch these accusations. Billie, who was not easily shaken, kept her composure.

"You're talking bullshit," Billie replied softly but firmly. "I know Ellie is genuine, you won't make me believe otherwise."

Chloé, clearly frustrated by Billie's defense, clenched her fists. "You don't know her like I do. You have no idea what she's capable of. She's using you, just like she used me, just like she uses everyone around her."

Billie, still calm, looked Chloé in the eyes. She could see that Chloé's words weren't driven by pure malice but by a pain she seemed to still carry. She sighed lightly before responding.

"Look, I get that you're still hurting over all this, but Ellie isn't responsible for how you feel. If she has changed, it's not necessarily to hurt you."

Frustrated, Chloé started raising her voice. "This is all your fault. We were going to get back together before you barged into her life. You don't know how to make her happy."

Billie kept her voice soft, trying to diffuse the situation. "Chloé, it's pointless to act like this here. I understand you're angry, but this isn't the time or the place."

Chloé, who until then seemed to want to maintain some control, finally broke down. She burst into tears, unable to hide the pain that was suffocating her any longer. Tears streamed down her face as she suddenly turned to leave the party. She was blind to everything around her, and in her rush, she bumped into a dancing guest. The impact knocked the drink the person was holding all over Billie.