44 -

Ten days had passed since that night in the caravan, and Ellie was doing her best to ignore what had almost happened. Neither she nor Billie had texted to talk about it, and this distance seemed to suit Ellie. Or at least, it was easier this way. Ignoring the situation allowed her to maintain a certain stability. The Australian tour was in full swing, with three concerts already behind them, two in Melbourne and one in Sydney, so the chances of running into Billie had been rare. Too many people, too much chaos, too much to deal with. The final Australian show was tonight in Sydney, and Ellie was trying to focus on her work.

Not having to face Billie directly, except from a distance on stage, allowed her to push aside the confusion she was feeling. Each night, she would blend into the crowd, hidden among the fans, capturing moments of the concert with her camera, but there was nothing to suggest to Billie that she was there. Billie shined on stage, the crowd adored her, and Ellie couldn't help but be impressed by the way the singer transformed every time she took command of the stage.

During this time, Ellie had grown much closer to Kate. They spent their free time together, either debriefing concerts over coffee or watching movies in the hotel room. Kate had brought a sense of lightness to this period, and the warmth of her friendship was comforting. Sometimes, Ellie found herself talking about Billie without even realizing it, letting details slip about their interactions. Kate, always a good listener, would simply smile softly, as if she understood more than Ellie was willing to admit.

The day before the last concert, while Ellie and Kate were having coffee at a small café in Sydney, Ellie received a message from Finneas. He was inviting the two of them to a special party, an event to mark the end of the Australian tour before they started the European leg. The idea of a celebratory party made Ellie grimace. She wasn't sure she was ready to see Billie outside of the strictly professional setting. The space she had created for herself felt fragile, and she feared everything would become as complicated as it had been that night in the caravan.

Kate, on the other hand, seemed excited about the idea. "It could be fun, don't you think?" she said with a playful smile, setting her coffee cup down on the table.

Ellie shrugged, stirring her spoon in her cup. "I don't know. I'm not really in the mood to be stuck in a house with a bunch of people."

Kate looked at her, amused. "A bunch of people? Or Billie?"

Ellie sighed, dropping her guard for a moment. "It's complicated. Since that night... I don't know what to think anymore. We were this close to... And now, I'm torn between wanting to avoid her and wanting to understand what happened. I'm acting like a child, it's not like me."

Kate nodded understandingly. "I know it's tough, but you can't avoid that conversation forever. Maybe this party could be a chance to talk, or at least to see how you both feel about each other."

Ellie pressed her lips together, hesitant. "And what if it was a mistake? What if what almost happened drove us apart instead of bringing us closer?"

Kate paused before responding. "Look, I don't know exactly what's going on between you and Billie, but it seems like she cares about you a lot. The only way to really know where you stand is to see her again. Trust me, avoiding it will only drag out your anxiety."

Ellie looked down at her cup, lost in thought. Kate was right, of course. She couldn't keep running from this, and maybe the party was a chance to untangle everything that had been weighing on her. Besides, the European tour was coming up, and they would be spending a lot of time together. It was better to face it now than to let things get worse.

A moment of silence passed between them, only interrupted by the chatter of the café's customers. Finally, Ellie gave in with a slight smile. "Okay, we'll go to the party. But if things get too weird, I'm counting on you to help me slip out."

Kate burst into laughter. "I promise, I'll be your perfect excuse."

As they left the café, the idea of the party lingered in Ellie's mind. She wondered what Billie was thinking, if she, too, was questioning what had happened in the caravan. Maybe it didn't mean anything to her after all. Billie hadn't done anything to bring it up again, nothing that suggested she wanted to go further.

---

Before getting ready for the concert, Ellie took a moment to herself. She sat down at her laptop, re-reading the messages she'd exchanged with Joan and Aubrey. They had confirmed they'd be joining her in Paris and London, which filled her with a burst of excitement. The thought of seeing her roommates in Europe made her feel lighter, and it gave her something to look forward to in the weeks ahead.

As the time for the concert approached, Ellie felt her heart race. This last show marked the end of a chapter, and even though she tried not to think too much about it, she knew that the upcoming party could change everything.