Chapter 1- I Don't Have Friends

"Hm, interesting closet. Except for the strong lemon smell, seriously? Is this like a hospital or something? The janitor must be OCD..." I muttered while examining the other cleaning supplies. I still have no idea what I'm doing in here in the first place, but I guess I was just bored.

Plus, the students in this new school seemed like they had no life since they had been gawking at me since the very moment I've stepped in this place. Stupid no life's.

I placed the window cleanser back in its place and decided that there was nothing here that was worthy of my time anymore, and just as I turned around to leave, I saw the janitor right behind me.

Um, okay...

He was staring at me with a shocked expression, I think he was mostly worried that I would've stained his precious cleaning supplies with germs rather than anything else. Poor guy.

I grew annoyed soon as he said nothing for a while, so I asked, "What?"

He shook his head, "Um, shouldn't you be in class?" Aw man, think quick, Jess!

"Shouldn't you be sweeping the floors or something?" I retorted. Okay, that was a bit harsh, but still... serves him right for trying to get me busted.

Plus, the class was going to start in thirty minutes. Since my mom dropped me off earlier, I knew I wasn't going to spend my time sitting in the classroom while staring at the wall. Yeah, that's really not my favorite pastime.

"I was here to pick up some supplies, but then you were here..." He narrowed his eyes, "I should inform the principal about this,"

My eyes widened, the nerve of this old timer! "No, you can't do that!"

"And, why not?"

I sighed, this guy really didn't know what being bored meant, did he?

I pinched the bridge of my nose, as if I was explaining a math problem to a toddler, then looked up at him, "Listen here..." I glanced at his name tag, "Dan, you've got to let this slide, please." I pleaded.

"Why should I? You should be given detention for skipping class." He chided. Okay, who is he? My dad? My grandpa? Last time I checked, my dad wasn't an oldie and my grandpa didn't have a bald head.

I wanted to make fun of this guy and call him, 'Jan-Dan', like janitor Dan but I don't think that'll be much helpful for now. I guess we'll have to do this the hard way, then.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Do you really want to play this game, Gramps?"

He scowled, "Did you just call me old?"

"Yes, do you want me to repeat it? 'Cause I gladly would."

"That's it, I'm reporting you to the principal!" He snapped, then realization dawned on his face as he awkwardly asked, "Well, what's your name?"

My eyebrows shot up in surprise, am I seriously this lucky? This is just classic. The oldie doesn't even know my name.

I smirked, "You actually don't know my name,"

His scowl returned, "Well, what is it?"

I snorted, "I'll let you know when you're asleep."

His face twisted in confusion, "What is that supposed to mean?"

I rolled my eyes at him, "It means, in your dreams."

He sighed in exasperation, "What are you doing in the janitor's closet, anyways?"