Chapter 14

We had expected to come back to their beautiful home just like when we left it. But someone (everyone knew that it was my mom and brother) had completely trashed the outside of the house. There was toilet paper, eggs, and they had ripped down the mail box. My parents had gone absolutely crazy. They kept making the situation worse and worse. They were definitely not going to be able to keep Marc or me. As Jane wheeled me into the house I thought were would Marc go? What would he do? I did want him to live with us and I also didn't. I mean the one place where they love me for me and now Marc might have to come. He hated me and I knew once he got his thoughts straightened out there was no going back.
  Mr. Morris called the police and they took pictures of my wound without the gauze, my eye and some of the larger bruises. After that Mr. Morris told us to go up to our rooms. The one challenge I had forgotten about was the stairs. Since the cut on my leg hurt really bad Jane helped me as I hopped up the stairs. Then Mr. Morris dragged my wheelchair up the stairs. I felt really bad for causing them so many problems in only a few days. We decided to stay in my room since it had more space because I didn't have anything to take away any space.
   " Jane I think I should leave."
   " What?! Why?! Where else would you go? Why do you want to leave?!" There was a certain terror in her voice and I could tell she didn't want me to leave.
    " I have caused you and your dad so many problems in only a few days."
    "You know we want you to stay and you can't go live in an orphanage!"
     "I just don't want to cause you so many unneeded problems. I mean now you have me to feed and my crazy parents vandalizing things and trying to win me over at court. It seems like too much to put on two people in three days!" I was in tears now because reality had just set in. I couldn't stay with them forever and did they even want me? My life was so crazy I felt so out of place wherever I went, but here here it was different, here I felt like they cared about me. I felt Jane's arms wrap around me and I realized she was crying too.
"Why are you crying?" I asked her softly between tears.
"I want you to stay. I haven't seen my dad this happy in a long time. And he isn't my dad, well at least not my biological dad. I was like you I didn't have anyone who wanted me not even my own mother. She was always drunk she would yell how much she didn't want me loud enough that a whole town over could hear. The reason I knew he would let you stay here is because he saved me from her child abuse. One day she came home really mad and I had accidentally broke a plate trying to make my own food at age six. She started throwing things at me and Mr. Morris was our neighbor and he heard me screaming as she grabbed me by the throat and she threw me out the window. Mr. Morris caught me. He actually dove out of his window to catch me he was cut up pretty bad. He grabbed his rifle and threatened to shoot if my mother left the house. He told me to go into his house. So seeing how he just saved me from my own Mom I listened and ran inside, far away from that window.He came in the house after the cops arrived that the neighbors across the street called. I think I fell asleep after that because I don't really remember what happened after that but I woke up with my cuts from the glass bandaged and in a hotel across town."