Chapter 27

"Of course I do!"
      "Well with everything that happened when we tried to get it the manager was nice enough to bring it to the hospital and I asked the nurse to put away where you couldn't see it, but I think now is a good time to give it to you." He turned and pulled out a glossy brown case. I took it from his hands and laid it on the ground. I opened the brass buttons to reveal the prettiest saxophone I had ever seen. I didn't know what to do with it.
     "Dad don't we have school tomorrow?"
      "Well I was meaning to talk to you about that honey pie. I pulled you and Jane both out of school. I have decided to use one of those computer homeschool programs. Sometimes regular school just doesn't work out for odd families like us. And I made arrangements to have a private tutor for you and you can play in the youth band twice a week. I hope that's okay..."
      "That is fabulous Mr. Morris!" I was so excited for what was to come and how I wouldn't have to be in the same school as my "brother" and saxophone! A private tutor and getting to play in youth band, it was so wonderful.
       As I sat on the ground staring at the open saxophone case, me and Dad suddenly locked eyes when we heard a loud thud from upstairs. We both bolted to Jane's room. I got to Jane's room first and saw a sight I will never forget. Jane's whole body seemed to be the same pale white. She was in her nightgown and she was sweating so much the nightgown stuck to her skin. He hair was sopping wet and sticking to her equally damp scalp in weird arrangements. She was laying on the ground in a ball shaking. Then the cough started. The same horrible cough that was in the car earlier. My dad finally made it up the stairs and arrived to see half-asleep Jane just as she was trying to get back in the bed. 
       "Jane go easy honey." As he saw her get into bed he must have seen her sweat drenched body and he felt her forehead.  "Jane honey you are not okay we are going to the hospital right now." Dad picked her up from the bed and set her in the second set of seats in the suburban so she could lay down, which she did, I sat down on one of the seats so I could make sure she was okay and since Jane wasn't that tall there was still plenty of room. And then we made our way to the hospital.