Chapter 26

"Jane we are pulling over right now! Control your breathing I'll get you some water." Mr. Morris seemed to be extremely nervous and he was frantically running into the convenience store to buy Jane the bottle of water. The nasty cough just continued to erupt from Jane's mouth.
"Jane it's going to be alright just try to breathe," I was talking calmly to Jane trying to make sure she didn't freak out about her condition the way I was. "Jane I'm going to put something in your mouth and I need you to try your best to breathe in when you hear the button click." She was leaning over still coughing and I grabbed her and set her upright. At the hospital they took a bunch a bunch of tests and gave me the all the things I should of have that my "parents" didn't give me in the past. I yanked out the inhaler they gave me for the asthma. "Alright Jane here it goes." I still have my hand firmly on her shoulder holding her upright. I shake the inhaler then make a test puff just out in the air to make sure it was okay as they told me to do in the hospital. "Jane I'm about to do it just try your best to breathe in okay?" I pushed the button and held it for the three seconds it needed while Jane desperately tried to breathe in. "Jane to get it I need to do it one more time." She was still coughing but I felt like I didn't need to hold her upright as hard anymore. I held the button again and she breathed in and finally the coughing stopped.
I took a huge breath in and breathed exhaustedly from stress and for awhile it was just me and Jane heavily breathing in the car. After about two minutes Mr. Morris showed up with the water bottle and Jane quickly guzzled it down. Since all Jane did was cough and insisted on going home rather than the hospital we drove home in silence. The minute we got home Jane without saying a word walked to her room and went straight to sleep. Mr. Morris and I sat down on the huge sofas in the living room and sat in silence until Mr. Morris spoke up. "How did you get her to stop coughing?"
"I gave the inhaler they gave me at the hospital. I didn't know what else to do she was turning blue I was scared she would die."
     "Alex honey I'm not mad at you. I'm proud you, you reacted perfectly to an emergency situation, who knows what would have happened if you didn't do that. You remember the saxophone?" With everything happening recently I had forgotten, but the minute he mentioned the saxophone was mentioned the picture of the beautiful saxophone popped into my mind.