Chapter 3: New beginning

"Elizabeth Johnson!"

Everything around me suddenly fades and I'm unable to hear anyone or focus on anything but that table in front of me. My heart is hammering against my ribcage as my gut twists, my mind blocking any coherent thoughts. I don't exactly remember walking toward the table, I just know I'm facing a middle aged man covered with a grey cloak, reminding me of a wizard from that one book I read. He says another name into the microphone which finally snaps me back to reality.

"Harry Styles!"

It takes me every ounce of strength not to look at the boy that is now standing beside me. The rules are very strict and I can't embarrass myself or my parents. It's definitely easier said than done, but I remind myself I'll have plenty of time to observe him. My whole life, to be precise.

"Do not look anywhere but in front of you, speak only when you are spoken to."

I take a deep breath and push my shoulders back, straightening my posture, trying my best to pull off the poker face. However, my attempt to look calm only adds to the tension I'm feeling, my heart pulsating in my ears as if I've just run a marathon.

"Elizabeth Anne Johnson and Harry Edward Styles, the bond the two of you form today will unite you, you will become each other's strength and support throughout life. The bond is sacred, it signifies the new beginning the two of you will face together."

A tall man approaches him, holding a small brown box in his hands. The leader turns to face him and takes the box from him, signalling for the man to leave. He places the box on the table and opens it, shifting his glance at the two of us once again. Only now I notice there is some kind of a small device on the table, looking like a small computer. I guess it's where all of our names and personal information are written.

"Do you swear to respect the bond every day starting from today?"

"Yes," we say in unison. This is the first time I hear him speak. His voice is deep and smooth, and I find myself wishing to hear it again. I'm adding his voice to the list of things I like about the stranger beside me, even though all he said was yes.

The leader pulls a shiny object out of the box and clears his throat. "Both of you outstretch one arm."

We do as we're told and he places the object around my partner's wrist. He then pulls the second one from the box, placing it around mine and it clicks as he does so. The material is cold against my heated skin, making goosebumps appear on the surface. I take a quick glance at it and I see it's some kind of a platinum bracelet. They seem to have a grey colour fetish.

"Hold hands to seal the bond," the leader says.

No matter how ridiculous it sounds, holding hands is considered very important as it's the first physical bond between the couple. My body tenses as he makes the first move, his cold hand taking mine, the unfamiliar contact making me shiver slightly. I'm pretty sure he can feel my hand is shaking from nervousness.

"Elizabeth and Harry are now bonded and ready to begin their new life together," he says into the microphone and slides his finger across the screen on the device.

He gives us one dismissive nod and that is the sign for us to leave. We are supposed to hold hands until we exit the room, but Harry lets mine go and turns to leave. I am slightly taken aback, but I quickly start walking toward the exit beside him.

I try not to get offended because I am a stranger to him as well, but then again, I don't want to get in trouble for not following the procedure. Thankfully, no one either didn't notice anything or they simply don't care.