Chapter 33: Party

Elizabeth's POV

I pull my lips into the fakest smile I can muster as Harry and I enter the grand ballroom. The mansion is everything you'd expect a shady rich leader would have.

Crystal chandeliers, champagne glasses and an excessive amount of food are only a small part of the scenery around me. Women in cocktail dresses and men in elegant suits are scattered around and the whole room is buzzing with chatter while slow music plays in the background. Some are seated at decorated circular tables and some are talking and laughing in groups. 

"Pfft, this is so boring," Louis says behind us before he stands in front of us. He looks very elegant wearing a dark blue suit and a matching tie. He's holding a glass of champagne, a bored expression on his face. 

I feel sympathy for him when I remember what Harry revealed to me earlier today.

"We're not here for fun," Harry says. "Has Zayn arrived?"

"No, but Niall and Liam have," he says. "There they are." He nods to the corner of the room where they are seated along with Sam and Sarah. 

My eyes survey the room once again, noticing Anne, Gemma and Andrew chatting with Ben and a man who I guess is Robert. He's gesturing with his hands as he speaks to the group and a few seconds later they laugh. 

"I'll join them," I say as I turn to Harry. 

"The hell you will," he snaps. 

Louis looks between us and quickly downs his drink. "Oops, I need a refill." He turns and paces after the waiter. 

"I'm supposed to be with Gemma," I remind him. 

"Yeah, but-"

"Look, Zayn arrived," I interrupt him and nod toward the entrance where Zayn's standing.

Harry turns his head and I seize the moment to quickly get away from him, toward Gemma and the rest. I clear my throat and they shift their attention to me. Gemma gives me a small smile, her body adorned with a beautiful red dress, her hair falling over her shoulders in light curls.

"Elizabeth," Ben says, smiling coldly. 

"Hello, sir." I nod.

"This is Elizabeth," Ben turns to Robert, placing his hand on my lower back.

"Oh, I've heard about you," Robert says. "It's a pleasure to meet you," he takes my hand in his, giving it a quick kiss. He's probably in his fifties, his hair grey on the sides.

I mask my cringe with a smile, almost jerking my hand away. "And it's an honour to meet you." 

Considering Ben and Robert are together, it's easier to watch over them, so Harry - who was supposed to watch over his father - is not needed at the moment, even though I'd feel much comfortable with him by my side. I glance around me and notice Sarah and Liam talking to Gerald. I don't see anyone else from the group and it's making me slightly nervous.  

I sense Andrew's eyes on me and I look at him only to confirm it. His lips are twisted in a small smirk and I'd like to remove it with a punch or two. His arm is draped over Gemma's waist and she looks like she'd rather be anywhere else but here. 

"Where's Harry?" Anne asks me.

"Oh, he's... socialising."

"You look very nice," she says, her green eyes warm.

"Thank you, so do you," I say as I let my eyes scan her long black elegant dress.

Ben, Robert and Andrew engage in a boring conversation and I only comment from time to time. Anne looks bored and Gemma rolls her eyes when I look at her. Our part is to make sure neither of them leaves the room, at least not without finding out where are they going, so we can let the others know.