Chapter 7: Complications

Harry's POV

I pull up my safety goggles and hastily scribble the results on the papers placed on the countertop. Another failure. I can't force myself to actually do some productive work today, my thoughts are a mess and I simply can't stop thinking something will go wrong.

"Damn it!" I raise my voice as the liquid starts forming bubbles and pours itself out of the flask.

"Easy, Harry" a familiar voice speaks behind me. "Always making a mess but never cleaning it."

"Go away, Barbie." I scoff and turn around to face Niall, whom I consider as my best friend.

"Relax, dipshit." He rolls his eyes before stepping closer to me, straightening his posture.

I pull off the latex gloves and ditch them behind me on the countertop. I shoot him a glare and we stare at each other intensely, looking as if we're about to kill each other before I pull him into a bear hug, earning a throaty chuckle from him. He pats my back and playfully pokes my side. Teasing one another has been our thing ever since we were little.

"How have you been?" Niall asks when he pulls back, placing his hand on my shoulder. "How are you adjusting to your new life? When will I meet her? How-"

"Is there an off button on you somewhere?" I interrupt, the corners of my lips twitching.

"Look Harry, you and I both know I live off new information and gossip," Niall says. "Feed me, go on."

The sight of agitated Louis pacing toward us suddenly catches my attention, his eyebrows pulled in a frown, tight fists knotted at his sides. Niall turns his head to look at him when he notices I'm not paying attention.

"Shit, they caught him!" Louis yells, pounding his fist against the countertop in anger.

Niall and I exchange confused glances. "Wait what?" We say in unison.

"Zayn! They caught Zayn!" Louis exclaims and my jaw clenches. Niall runs his fingers through his blond hair in frustration and I take a deep breath to calm myself.

"I told you this will happen," I say in the calmest tone possible and Louis glares at me.

"We had no other choice and you know it!" He snaps. "You screwed up three months ago and disappeared! And now you suddenly think you have a say in any of this." I push against his chest, making him stumble backward, his hands grasping the countertop to prevent himself from falling down.

"I don't care. I warned you not to take matters into your own hands and you did just that!" I fire back. "Do you know how dangerous this is? Do you know what they will do to him?" Two guys I work with enter the lab, unaware of what's happening.

Niall seizes the opportunity and stands in between Louis and me, placing his hands on our shoulders. "Uuh guys, you know I would place bets on you and all- Harry would probably win- oh don't give me that look Lou, you know he's stronger. Anyway let's take this outside and figure out what to do next. I'll call Liam and we'll try to fix this mess."

Louis grumbles something incoherent and I nod, yanking the safety goggles off my head and placing them in the coat pocket. I brush past Niall and him, hearing their footsteps behind me.

. . . .

Elizabeth's POV

Liam has spent at least thirty minutes explaining to me where everything is, how things work here and what will be my first job. He told me he is the head of this department and if I ever need something, I should just ask him. I've actually managed to find out more about him in an hour than about Harry in a week.