Chapter 28: Privacy

Elizabeth's POV

"How much of that did you hear?" I say nervously.

"I heard enough for me to realize you broke your promise," Harry accuses. "And what, now Louis and you are best friends or something?"

"No- not that I didn't try, but we're actually just two people with mutual friends," I say. "I just apologised to him."

"And apparently went through my stuff."

"To be fair, I didn't-"

He steps toward me, resting his palm against the locker as he locks his eyes with mine. "Why do you do it, Beth? Why do you constantly do the opposite of what I asked you?"

My breath hitches in my throat because of his proximity and I'm looking everywhere but at his captivating eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry," he repeats angrily. "Come, we'll continue this at home," he steps back, motioning for me to follow him as he starts walking down the hallway.

I can tell the fact I glanced at those papers is not what made him angry, it's the fact he still thinks he can't trust me and I'm not exactly giving him enough reason for it. He doesn't trust easily and little things like that are enough to shatter what we've been building for weeks.  The ride home is silent, he doesn't even glance at me once. I was finally in a good place with Harry, but I should've known it won't last.

"I really am sorry, I was just curious to see your experiments, besides your handwriting is really pretty- oh what a lovely poker face you have, has anyone ever told you that? Wow, you're not even blinking..."

My words don't faze him at all as he stands quietly in the centre of the living room, his hands clasped behind his back as he stares at me with a blank expression. I'm feeling like I'm on a trial and he's the judge.

"You see, it's not only that," he finally says. "In all honesty, I wasn't expecting you to keep your promise. Granted, I thought you would last longer than a day, but what's done is done. What bothers me is the fact you can't help yourself with asking around about me."

"Wait, what?"

"First Liam, then Zayn and now Louis," he says calmly, too calmly. "It's important for me that you realize you won't find out anything about me from them. They only know what they see and what I wanted them to know. I enjoy my privacy, Elizabeth. It's something very valuable to me and when people constantly try to meddle into my business," he glares at me. "I get angry."

I should've known he will find out about those conversations, they're his friends after all. What he doesn't understand is that I'm only trying to figure out what am I doing wrong regarding our relation, the fact he's keeping distance from me doesn't help me at all. I cast my gaze down as I take a few moments to think about his words, trying to understand the hidden meaning behind them. Maybe he had someone close to him who had betrayed his trust in the past and now he keeps everything to himself, not wanting to get hurt.

That only proves my theory Harry really does feel, more than everyone else. Maybe we have more in common than any of us thought.

When I lift my eyes again, he's gone. I don't really know what to say to him other than I'm sorry, but I have to try. I prefer annoying, playful Harry over this angry version of him.

I enter the bedroom slowly, seeing him reading a book on the bed, his legs crossed at ankles. His shoes are kicked off carelessly and his leather jacket is thrown on the bed. I know he's well aware of my presence in the room, but he's ignoring me.