Chapter 12: Dinner

Elizabeth's POV 

When Harry told me we were invited to his parents' house for dinner, I was mildly excited and I tried to stay calm. But now that we're leaving in a few hours, my heart is thumping wildly against my ribcage and a sheen of perspiration is forming on my skin, the result of my anxiety. I already had a chance to meet his father and it was embarrassing and awkward, but now I have to actually have dinner with that man and Harry's mother. I think I'm going to faint. 

I use my hand to fan my face as I stand in front of the mirror, taking in my appearance. I wasn't sure how formal the dinner will be, so I chose a simple cream coloured dress with thin straps, its length slightly above my knees. I gave myself enough time to apply make-up, loving how it automatically boosts up my confidence.

Harry suddenly clears his throat as he exits the bedroom, making me move my attention to him. He shifts his weight from one foot to another as I look at him, avoiding eye contact with me as I let my eyes roam down his body, taking in his appearance. He's wearing a white button-down shirt with sleeves rolled up to his elbows, dotted with small silver patterns and a pair of tight black jeans which I've realised are basically his second skin. A few buttons of his shirt are popped open, fragments of tattoos on his chest visible, a silver cross necklace hanging around his neck. His curly hair is slightly tousled and pushed back, tiny curls twisting around his ears.

"You look nice. Pretty. Very good," he rambles, his cheeks turning a bright shade of red. He scratches the back of his neck and clears his throat once again.

"Thank you. You look good as well," I reply, unable to control the blush creeping into my cheeks as I smile coyly. "Shall we?" I walk toward him, offering him my arm.

"Shouldn't I be the one doing that?" He notes, his lips twitching. His green eyes meet mine as he locks his arm around my own.

"Maybe next time," I say, smiling softly at him. We exchange a glance before walking out of the house. I only hope everything will turn out okay tonight.

. . . .

Harry stops the car in front of luxurious spiked iron gates and presses a button, letting the window roll down. He reaches out and types in a code in a keypad aside, the gates slowly opening for us. He shifts the car into gear and a beautiful mansion comes into our sight, causing my eyes to widen. Its tall walls seem to stretch endlessly around us, reminding me of a palace. 

I catch Harry glancing at me while his hands grip onto the steering wheel. I think he's even more nervous than I am, and I've got an impression he is not in good relations with his father. He circles around a marble fountain in the middle of the patio before finally stopping near the entrance. Just when he reaches to open the door, a tall male dressed in a black tuxedo paces toward the car and does it for him.

Harry seems to be used to it, but my expression is a definition of confused. I open the door, but the man makes his way to my side and holds them open for me as I awkwardly step outside. "Thank you," I mumble and he smiles politely.

"Evening, miss." I notice he's rather young, he can't be more than five years older than me.

"Elizabeth," Harry calls out, gesturing for me to approach him as he throws the keys at the man. "Take care of my beauty."

The man looks confused as his eyes flick at me, a blush creeping onto his cheeks. "Uuh-"

"He's talking about the car," I tell him quietly, an awkward smile pulling at my lips.

I walk toward Harry and feel his hand on the small of my back, leading me toward an entrance. The previous tension seems to multiply by thousand, my hands fumbling with the hem of my dress. Harry extends his finger to ring the bell, but once again his action is interrupted when someone opens the door. A short, older lady is facing us, her face brightening when her eyes lay on Harry.