Chapter Fifteen

All rights go to original author.

AHHH LOOK AT THEIR HANDS!?!
Camila so wanted to go for it though

__________________________________________________________________

The bell chimed. Camila took a deep breath. She squeezed the larger hand that was held in her smaller one. The door closed behind them. Her nerves had surfaced fast, as they walked back into the lion's den hand-in-hand. Camila's rapidly beating heart, which had moments ago been pumping solely for the purpose of keeping her alive so that she could kiss and touch that perfect girl out on those front steps, was now drumming her death-march. Each pounding beat brought her one step closer to the now unveiled intentions of Taylor Jauregui. Brown eyes locked onto her own nervous brown ones as she faced the beast.

Taylor was there to size her up; there was no denying it now. She was there to see if she was good enough for Lauren. Am I good enough for Lauren? What would happen if Taylor decided she wasn't? And why was this happening so fast? She and Lauren weren't even dating, not really, not yet. Why was she going through the family approval process now? Camila wasn't sure, but she knew Lily had something to do with Taylor being there.

Camila was scared and she knew that the fear showed in her eyes. Her whole life, she could never get away with anything; her mother always knew and called her on shit before she even had a chance to lie. Figured. Every time Camila looked into Sinuhe's eyes, she saw her own staring right back at her. Her eyes always gave her away no matter what her words or actions conveyed in the opposition.

Camila gulped and inhaled a shaky breath. She saw Taylor's upper lip twitched as her eyes fell upon her sister's hand being held by the tattooed smoker who had not yet completed the requisite interview and who had not yet received the Jauregui stamp of approval. She wanted to drop Lauren's hand immediately, but Lauren tightened her grip in silent reassurance. Camila glanced up at the green eyed girl who was already looking back at her and she gave her a timid smile that said If you think I can do this, then I can do it...I think.

They took their seats on the couch in front of the window; Taylor was sitting next to Lily who was scribbling away in a sketch book on her lap. Taylor had been looking over at Lily's drawings, but her eyes had left the opened page and were now focused on her prey.

"Did you have a good smoke, Camila?" Taylor was smiling at her while sneering as the same time.

"I'm going to quit. I've got a plan." Camila blurted out.

Lily's pen stopped. Her steely hazel eyes flicked up and studied Camila's face. She closed her book and folded her hands on top of it, waiting patiently for the show to continue.

"Well that's good. It's repulsive. I finally got Lauren to quit four months ago. Isn't that right, Laur?"

Lauren just gave her an unenthused nod and crossed her legs. She placed Camila's and her joined hands on her thigh, covering them with her other one. Camila glanced over. She was thrilled to be holding Lauren's hand; it felt right and Lauren's fingertips were lightly stroking her skin and it was what she wanted, truly, but at this exact moment in time, it was too much. Too much with Taylor watching them. Too much with Lily studying them.

Camila pulled away, almost shaking Lauren's hands off and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. She knew it was completely unnecessary; her other hand was free, but she had to and she hoped that Lauren would understand. She didn't dare look over at her though. That would have only showed her the hurt look on Lauren's face as the raven haired girl retracted her hands and placed them meekly in her lap.