Chapter Thirty Six

All rights go to original author.

________________________________________________________________

There was something soothing, or perhaps more aptly, mind-numbing, about the repetitive, low rumble of the washing machines and off-beat rattle of the tumble dryers that kept Camila contentedly sat atop the work surface in the student housing laundry room. The book she was reading was surprisingly one hundred percent for entertainment value only; she knew trying to read anything school-related would be futile. Her overactive brain hadn't taken a break all day and while she had attended all of her lectures in body, she had most definitely not been there in mind.

Realizing she was once again distracted by thoughts of the night before, the disastrous dinner, Lily's moronic friends, the tearful walk back to her room, Camila marked her page and set her book aside. Unfolding her legs and letting them dangle, the brunette reached above her head in a satisfying stretch. As she brought her arms back down, she removed her glasses and gave them an unneeded cleaning with the hem of her t-shirt. The dryer buzzed as Camila studied the spotless lenses and slipped her black frames back on.

Camila hopped off the counter and opened the dryer door, reaching in to grab her delightfully warm and fluffy- "Fuck." As soon as her fingertips touched the first item, she couldn't hold back the expletives. "You fucking heap of useless tin!" Camila slammed the dryer door shut and gave the machine a kick for good measure.

"And what did that machine ever do to you?"

Camila spun around to face the person with the voice she could never grow tired of. "What are you doing here? You need a cardkey to gain entrance into this facility." The brunette folded her arms across her chest, trying to look unfazed by Lauren's unexpected entrance.

Lauren took a step into the laundry room and let the door shut behind her. "This weird guy let me in. He looked a bit like Jesus."

Camila bit her bottom lip. She didn't want to be happy to see Lauren. She wanted to sulk and feel bad for herself and eat a whole pizza by herself. Instead, she had to suppress the smile making its way across her face. "The damned thing took my money and had me sitting here for the entire cycle just so it could toss my underwear around for an hour with no heat! Everything is still fucking wet."

Lauren did a terrible job of holding back a smirk. Camila blushed and turned her attention back to her troublesome laundry. Opening the door of another dryer, the small brunette started transferring her clothes over.

"I bet you're not the first to use that one either. People can be so inconsiderate sometimes." Lauren took a few steps closer while removing her leather jacket and tossing it on a chair. "I mean, how hard is it to post an out of order sign?" Lauren was wearing an Metallica t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off; her tattoo of the lake stood out vibrantly in the dull room. "It's just incredibly stupid and idiotic and whoever used it last should be made to come down here and apologize to you for being a stupid idiotic...asshole."

The green eyed girl was now standing very close to the brunette who still had her back to her. She reached out and gently placed her hands on Camila's hips who slightly stiffened from the sudden contact; the shuffling of wet clothes halted. "Huge, gigantic asshole." The last bit was whispered into the soft, brown wisps of hair that refused to be confined in a ponytail. "Who is very, very sorry."

She couldn't help but let her eyes close as Lauren's arms wrapped around her midsection and she felt the green eyed girl's warm cheek press against her shoulder blade. "I can only assume that this inconsiderate, idiotic asshole you speak of is purely fictional and should only be regarded as a hypothetical example of society's selfishness and unwillingness to post out of order signs on laundry equipment."