Chapter Twenty

All rights go to original author.

__________________________________________________________________

Camila watched the taxi drive away until it was completely out of sight. She reached into the pocket of her jacket and produced a pack of cigarettes. As she pulled one cigarette out from the others, she heard the bell on the door of the tattoo parlor jingle and glanced over. "Oh, hey."

"Hey." Lily looked down at Camila, an unlit cigarette hanging from her lip. She sat down on the stoop; Camila offered her a light. Lily leaned towards the flame and took a deep pull, her hazel eyes connecting with Camila's. "She's not here." She exhaled a thick cloud of smoke and looked out onto the street.

"Yeah, I know." Camila lit up and put her lighter back into the pocket of her jeans; her hand stayed there as she held the cigarette between her fingers with the other. "I saw her just now, actually, before they left, she and Taylor." Silence. "I was just about to head home."

"But?"

"Well, I was hoping to run into you actually."

"Oh?" Lily quirked an eyebrow as she took another pull.

"Yeah. I wanted to thank you for your help the other day, with Lauren...and..." Camila was entering unfamiliar territory. "...ask you for some advice."

__________________________________________________________________

"Take my advice, Lo." Taylor wasn't going to let this drop without her final word. "Do not, and I repeat, do not ever wear purple." She shuddered at the thought. "I don't care what anyone says; you'll look a right mess."

The taxi ride from Lauren's bohemian neighborhood to the Jauregui family's posh residence was only about fifteen minutes, but Lauren could have sworn that she had been listening to Taylor for hours. The older sister lifted her head up from the back of the seat to look her sister in the eye. "Thank you, Taylor. I'll make sure that never happens." Lauren's head returned to its resting position and her mind returned to thoughts of Camila.

"Good. And if you can somehow work this into conversation, let that friend of yours know that floral patterns are never a good idea."

"What makes you think Camila would wear floral?"

"I was talking about that Ally person, but mention it to Camila too. She seems the type." Taylor continued to flip through the fashion magazine she had pulled from her bag and Lauren wondered if she ever actually stopped flipping long enough to read anything.

__________________________________________________________________

Camila hated the idea of asking for advice from anyone, let alone a girl Lauren had once slept with, but she also had to make a good impression on their first date. Lily was Lauren's best friend and it had only happened that one time; she would know better than anyone what Lauren would prefer. "I've narrowed it down to two choices. Do you think you could tell me which option Lauren would like best?"

Lily stared at the brunette but said nothing.

Camila continued. "For our date on Friday?"

Lily took a long drag from her cigarette. "And why should I help you?"

__________________________________________________________________

Lauren and Taylor stood in front of a large wooden door. The door flew open and Clara welcomed them with a smile. "My darlings! Come in, come in." Clara threw her arms around her girls and pulled them into a Jauregui Hug. Upon releasing them, Clara gave them the once-over. "Look at how beautiful you are. Lauren, your dress! I just love it."