7

Demi

We've been home for two short hours, and as much as I'm trying to keep the guests entertained, tonight is the wrong night for a welcome home party. Its eleven o'clock at night and I'm old and tired.

Annie is physically, mentally, and emotionally drained. She must be in pain because I know something was bothering her when she excused herself to go lay down on the couch with Madison.

"Hey," Jill said, bringing me in a side hug. "I think this might be a little overwhelming for Annie right now."

It's like she was reading my thoughts. "Yeah, I agree."

"Well, fellas." Jill announced to everyone in the kitchen. "Let's give them rest, yeah?"

Everyone agreed, walking to the living room to give Annie hugs, then Wilmer and I. Eventually, everyone had left with the exception of my mom, Dallas, and Madison. And Wilmer, of course. 

"Demi, have you had time to sit down and talk to Annie about everything?" She asked. "Are you sure she's okay?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, sitting down on a stool bedside her.

"Well, like, if she had any questions about after the accident? You said she had those vivid dreams about you guys dying.. There's no way she's okay after that." My mom, shook her head. "I swear that girl has nine lives."

"Annie will ask me questions when she's ready. She's probably still processing everything. She's shocked." I said, thinking about how horrible those nightmare things must've been. "Plus, she's probably mainly worried about the surgery she has to have in two days."

"Yeah, you're right." She sighed, "Are you sure you're okay with Madison staying the night tonight?"

"Yeah, that's fine. I'll start sleeping downstairs with her tomorrow. Truthfully, im ready to sleep in my own bed for a night."

Mom giggled, "Yeah, probably."

I smiled, taking a drink of her sweat tea that was sitting in front of her.

"How are you? And Wilmer? Truthfully?" She was hesitant at first, but I know she's worried.

"I'm.. Fine. I didn't have time to freak out over the accident because I was too worried about Annie. Wilmer is fine, he was just worried about Annie, too. I think he's going to go get a new car tomorrow." I said, telling the complete truth. It's so nice being able to truthfully tell my mom how I feel wether I'm hurting or not. I wish I would've done that in my teenager years.

"Okay, sweetie." She said, rubbing my back. "You need to get some rest."

I nodded, looking up to see Dallas with her finger swirling around in a peanut butter jar. I shook my head, "You are so strange."

She shrugged, licking it off her finger. "Did that turn you on?"

I gagged, shaking my head. "Dallas quit."

"Cool for the summer." She whispered, wiping up some more peanut butter and sticking it in her mouth.

I put my head in my hands, trying to get rid of that memory. "Dallas, that's not okay."

She busted out laughing, "Now when you sing that song you'll think of me."

"I'd rather not think about my sister when I sing that song." I laughed, shaking my head, once again.

"My children are pervs." Mom said, rising from her seat.

I laughed, watching her walk to the living room to bid her goodbyes. I looked around the kitchen, but Wilmer was no where to be seen.