25

Demi

Sometimes words, no matter how gentle or aggressive they're spoken, can hurt worse than a blow to the chest. As Annie spoke the words that's been eating me alive since I found out my baby girl has been hurt, I felt the air get knocked out of me.

"That's not fare." I said, swallowing back the lump in my throat.

I could tell she regretted it. I know she did. I know past all this pain she's feeling, she knows that if I even had the slightest idea Jacob was hurting her, I'd take care of it.

"I just wish you would've been there to protect me from Jacob." Annie said. I so badly wish I  would've too. I wish so badly she would've shown signs that weren't there. I know she needed me.

"You didn't want to be protected, Annie. Why can't you see that? If you wanted to be protected, you would've told me the first time something happened."

"I did want protected! You think I wanted all of this to happen to me?! You know how many times I dreamed of you coming to my room and just asking me about it? How could you not see the signs?!"

"Annie, you hid the signs a hell of a lot better than you thought. I didn't notice because you didn't want me to. Deep down, maybe you did. If you wanted out of it that bad, you would have came to me. He brainwashed you, Annie. I know how hard it would have been for you to say something. I mean, look where we are now. But, I'm here. And I'm making up for not noticing. I'll protect you, I promise."

For fucks sake, why does she have to take all this anger she's holding in out on me? Why am I the outlet? She's literally blaming me for not saving her, when she needed to save herself.

Fighting against the tide, she walked past me. That's what makes me furious. If we're having a problem, let's work it out. Don't walk away. Especially if she's blaming me for something I had nothing to do with.

"Annie where are you going?" I asked, annoyance in my voice. "You're literally being immature."

She bit her lip. Looked down. Continued towards the shore. Sighing, I followed her.

I finally made it back to the hot sand and plopped myself down on one of the four towels laid down. This was supposed to be a get away, and that's the complete opposite of what's happening.

I looked over and saw Annie already heading back to the ocean. Looks like she can't even stand to be around me.

"Hey, what's up?" Wilmer asked, jogging over to take a seat next to me. "Marissa ran back up to the room to get some waters."

"Annie being a teenager, I guess." I shrugged, as his wet shoulder rubbed up against mine.

"So, a fight? What happened?"

I grabbed a handful of sand and watched it slip through my fingers. I can't help but think it was a representation of my life right now.

"She's saying she wishes I would've been there to protect her. I should've been there to protect her."

"And you feel guilty because you wish more than anything you would've been there?"

"How'd you know?" I tried to smile but it seemed to much of an effort.

"Lucky guess." He nudged me again. "There's no way you could've prevented this. There's no way you could've saved her from this. She didn't want saved, and she didn't want protected. Not at the time, anyway. Now, she wishes she would have so she wouldn't have to deal with the pain." He's too good.