14

Demi

I think everything clicked at the same moment. It's like we had bits of information scattered around us for months, years even, and suddenly it all just came together.

"It can't be." I whispered, thinking of anything possible, yet everything adds up.

"I.." Wilmer stuttered, "I have no idea."

Out of everything I could be feeling right now, I feel a twinge of jealousy thinking that if Wilmer is Annie's father, she's more of his than she is mine.

"But..." I said, shaking my head. "It's.. If I look up a picture of her mom you would know who she is, right?"

"It was almost fifteen years ago.. She's been on drugs and all this other stuff. Who knows if she'd look the same." Wilmer said, nothing gaping open. "Her last name at the time was O'Riley.."

"But she got remarried. The Lisa I'm talking about last name is Davis.. But the past matches up. Annie's eyes. Her natural hair.." I just cannot believe this is happening.

"I'm so.. Shocked. What do we do next? Do we tell anybody?" Wilmer asked.

"We take a DNA test before we tell anyone." I said.

I can't believe I didn't realize this before. This didn't even cross my mind that this was possible, not even once. I should've put two and two together, but I didn't.

"Can we get one today? Tomorrow? The next day after?" He asked, eager to know the truth.

"We have to make an appointment. I have to perform at jingle ball day after tomorrow so, if it's then I can't go and I want to be there."

"I'll call." Wilmer said, rising from the bed and escaping into the bathroom.

I sighed, falling back onto the pillows. So much has happened in the first forty eight hours it's making my head spin. Yesterday, I was in a different country fighting with my family and today were scheduling a DNA test because Wilmer is Annie's father.

This literally seems impossible. It's just... The biggest coincidence in the whole world. I just so happened to adopt the girl whom's dad I'm in love with. That doesn't happen everyday.

"My appointment is on Friday. The hospital can use her blood samples from her surgery." He explained, setting his phone down. "This isn't a bad thing, you know."

"I know." I said. "I'm just shocked."

"Me too," he said, his smiled spreading ear to ear. "I want her to be my daughter so fucking bad."

I smiled. That would be amazing, for sure. But for some reason, I can't push down the jealousy that's nagging at me. I want Annie to be my blood daughter, too.

"What do we do? Today?" Wilmer asked. "I have to do something to distract me or I'll think about it all day."

"We can Christmas shop for Annie." I suggested. "I need to finish up."

"Should we wake her up and tell her we're leaving?" He asked, putting jeans on over his boxers.

"No." I shook my head. "She'll probably sleep till 1 anyway. I'll shoot her a text just in case."

As I walked into my closet, I took one more glance at Wilmer. Possibly, my daughters father. What the fuck. No wonder Lisa wanted us in that car crash so bad.

••••

"Wilmer, put it down!" I said for the thousandth time.

In the middle of Ulta, Wilmer is opening up blush and swiping his finger on top of it. "What is this?"