32

• music: unsteady by the X Ambassadors •

Demi

Sometimes we hide the truth from someone so they don't get hurt, but in the long run it does just that. What I thought was the right thing was the wrong, and even if I'm being the good guy I come out being the bad.

"Annie," I sighed, as she stumbled up the stairs of my private plane.

"Is it true?" She asked, tears gathering in her eyes. "Did you block of all communication between me and Wilmer?"

"Yes, but-"

"Why would you do that?! How could you do that? You saw me moping around upset, I even felt bad for you not my self, while you were the reason he wasn't communicating? Demi, I felt bad for you! I was sad for you! How could you do that and not feel the slightest bit guilty? He told me to choose between the two of you, and I chose you! I chose you because I knew you wouldn't do something like that, but I was wrong. You are selfish and I literally want nothing to do with you." Annie yelled, slamming herself down in the chair as I stood there, shocked.

"This was completely unselfish. I did all of this for you, Annie. For us. He doesn't want to be with me anymore, okay? He told you he did, but he told me he didn't. He was going to persuade you to stay with him so I had to do something. I was saving you the pain."

"You are selfish. So what if I did want to stay with him? I don't give a fuck that he was leaving! How would that hurt me? He's leaving you, not me. As soon as we land, I'm calling him to come get me. I wish you would have never adopted me."

"It would hurt you! Did you not see the way you acted when he moved out? He left you while you were crying on the driveway, Annie! I collected the pieces, not him. You wish I had never adopted you? Well, maybe if Wilmer hadn't gave you up, I wouldn't have had the option."

"Stay the hell away from me." Annie said, hot tears streaming down her face.

"I can take it from here.." Jill said, taking a seat beside her and telling me with my eyes to leave before I say something else.

So, I did.

I numbly walked back to where Kelsey was sitting and sat down beside her. What the actual fuck just happened.

"I need a drink." I said.

"I have the tea-"

"No, I need some hard liquor right now." I said, closing my eyes and resting my head against the seat.

"Demi-"

"I know. I'm not going to, it just sounds nice."

"You weren't so nice back there.." She nervously laughed.

"I honestly do not care. Wilmer broke my damn heart. I raised Annie. I am her mom. He can't just come in her life for basically two years and expect me to split her 50/50 with him. He was working half the time he doesn't even begin to know her like I do." I said, feeling like a pussy because now I can feel tears stinging my eyes.

"I know she's pissed off at you right now, but she won't go with him. She loves you too much. Even if she did go with him, she would come right back. You know that." Kelsey said.

"I won't let her go, anyway. It's my decision. I'm the legal guardian. She's staying with me."

"He shouldn't be doing this. He's turning the situation to make you look like the bad guy."

"He doesn't even fucking begin to know her like I do." I repeated again. "He doesn't know that I have to microwave her bread in the morning instead of toasting it, he doesn't know her lucky socks are the black ones with a hole in the pinky toe, he doesn't know that her 'brewed coffee' is really an iced macchiato, three shots of vanilla and heavy on the Carmel, he doesn't know anything about her. He may know the big stuff, but only I know what truly matters."