10

Annie

I could basically feel my jaw hit the pavement as Nick said those words. There's nothing humorous about this, at all, but I had to bite my cheek to keep from laughing. This is so messed up.

"Kidding, kidding." Nick said, laughing and nudging Wilmer in the shoulder who hesitated before smiling a little. "I was already in town and wanted to congratulate you in person." But there was no hiding the hint of pain behind those hazel eyes.

"Oh, well, thanks man." Wilmer said, patting him on the back.

"No problem. You two have fun, congratulations again!" He called off before walking away.

"Bye Nick." I said, hurrying into the passenger seat. Fuckin awkward.

Wilmer was rather quiet as he started the car and pulled out of the parking lot, onto Marissas house.
His bushy eyebrows were furrowed and he was clutching the steering wheel as if he was going to detach it in any moment.

"That was weird as shit, right?" I asked, obviously voicing what we were both thinking.

He shrugged. "Not really. He was just congratulating-"

"Not that. The joke.. It was weird, right?"

He shifted uncomfortably, "No.."

"Yes!" I laughed, throwing my head back. "You thought that was creepy as shit, too!"

"Don't tell Demi." He sighed. "It's nothing.. Obviously. It was just.. Odd."

Yeah it's fucking odd. He wasn't joking, at all. I know Nick. I know Nick. I've been around him for years, and all we do is joke around with each other. That was not joking. Fuck, he's actually in love with my mom.

Then it hit me.

"Oh my go- they're going on tour together." I said, slapping Wilmer in the shoulder. "He most definitely has the feels."

"Fuck." He muttered under his breath. "I'm sure he really was.. Kidding.."

"Keeding..." I repeated, then laughed.

"What?"

"Your accent. Instead of kidding its 'keeding'." I giggled. At least it's lightening up the mood.

"Shut up." He said, trying not to laugh.

"Sorry, I was just keeding." I said, then we looked at each other and started dying of laughter.

"You're a pain in my ass."

I smiled, kicking my feet up on the dash. "I know."

•••

Marissa already had the door open to her new home as soon as we pulled up. I waved Wilmer off as I jogged up the steps and gave Marissa a short hug.. Then she pushed me in.

"Spill it!" She said, slamming the door shut. She's referring to 'humongous news way bigger than the ring and very juicy holy shit' text I sent her before we got here.

I looked at the two almost unfamiliar faces sitting at the counter, looking almost as eager as Marissa. I know they're her new roommates and I can put names to their faces, Meghan and Lily.