28

Annie

It doesn't come as a surprise. I've suspected it all along. I'm hurt they hid it from me and it's annoying they drug it out for so long, as if I wasn't going to find out. What's the big deal?

They both stared at me as if they just revealed the worst news in the world. They stared as if I was going to go on a rampage or about to throw a tantrum. Nope. I don't give a shit. They're being so childish right now. I've knew in the back of my head it was true sense the first time they accidentally brought it up.

"Oh." I shrugged.

They both looked at each other, at me, at each other, then back at me. I feel like I'm an animal on exhibit at the zoo with all the staring.

"Well, see, you didn't have to lie for all that time." Wilmer said, returning back to their fight. This will be interesting.

"Me? I'm the one lying? What about you?"

"I wanted to tell her, you didn't." He sneered.

"The fuck? No, you didn't. Stop blaming this on me." My mother said. At that moment, I realized she is still clutching the knife she was cutting vegetables with. To avoid homicide in my kitchen, I slowly take it out of her grip.

"Whatever. I'm seriously about to leave." Wilmer said, back stepping away from her. From us.

"You can't just leave when the going gets hard." Demi said. Isn't it when the going gets tough? Oh well, she tried.

It's so entertaining to watch this go down. This is one of the dumbest fights I've ever seen in my life. It's honestly hilarious. They're acting like those couples you see arguing over nothing, drunk outside a bar at 4 am.

"I don't care."

"It's almost midnight."

"Exactly."

I'm literally trying not to laugh. This is a poorly filmed and directed soap opera. They were arguing about Wilmer leaving for a week... and it led to him leaving tonight. What the hell. I wanted to tell Demi to just laugh and let him leave. Bitch, he don't wanna be around your ass right now.

"You know what? Annie is my daughter just as much, well more, actually, than she is yours. She's coming with me for the week when I leave. Now you won't have to worry about how you're going to get her places." 

"No? She's staying at home, Wilmer." Demi snapped. I thank myself for taking the knife out of her hand because if she still had it, Wilmer would not be a breathing man right now.

"She's coming."

"She's staying!"

"She's coming!"

"She's staying!"

Okay, so maybe this isn't funny anymore. They're actually pissed off. I don't want to go with Wilmer for a week. I don't want to sit at his boring sets all day, and I sure as hell don't want to be away from my mom for that long.

"Wilmer, your name isn't on the adoption papers. You're not even listed as a guardian. I am, and I, as her mother, am telling you she isn't going with you. She's staying with me."

"Demi, forget about the fight for a minute. You seriously have the biggest schedule that week, and this would be a perfect opportunity for us to bond. You always say you want that for us." He explained and her face softened.

She didn't speak. She bit her lip in deep thought.

"You aren't actually considering this, are you?" I asked in disbelief.