Settled In

Once I helped Demi put the groceries away, she put her hands on her hips & smiled. "Well, you've seen the kitchen. Let me show ya the rest of the place."

"Lead the way, my lady." I waved my arm out for her to walk past me.

A cocky grin flashed across her mouth as she headed out of the kitchen. I followed her, still watching her closely. It was like I couldn't get enough of her now that she was right in front of me, within reach. "This is technically the dining room, but since there is a big area to sit & eat in the kitchen, this is now my office." She laughed, glancing at me.

"I get that. You probably have more use for an office than a dining room at this stage in your life."

"Exactly. Now there is a small bathroom off the kitchen with a toilet & sink, which is going to be helpful because I still take forever in the bathroom."

I smirked at her. "Some things never change. I'm naturally good looking so I still don't take too long."

Demi rolled her eyes as she swung her arms around the living room area. "This is the living room in case you weren't aware." She walked down a hall & motioned to a bathroom, then another door. I peeked inside & saw the large bedroom, my eyes landing on the bed, perfectly made just as I knew it would be. "This is my room & then this is your room." She opened the door to my room & I saw a bed, done up with a denim blue patterned comforter. "I hope the bed is okay. I got it from a guy I work with, but it seems comfy. Hope the decor isn't too girly. I tried to make it as masculine as possible but wanted to stay away from neutrals or camo. I figured you've seen enough camo." She laughed.

I smiled at her, then put my arm around her shoulder to hug her to me. "It's perfect, Dem. You didn't have to get me a bed, but I am touched that you did."

"He gave me a good deal. I meant what I said. You can stay here as long as you want, so I wanted to make sure you had a nice room. Feel free to change anything, though." She grinned up at me.

"It really is perfect. I don't need to change a thing. You know me better than anyone so it's exactly how I would decorate it myself. I still love the color blue." I winked at her & she pretended to be relieved.

"I really want you to feel at home here, okay?"

I nodded then pressed my lips together. "So, is this boyfriend cool with you having a guy live with you?"

Demi looked down, suddenly & turned to leave the room. "He doesn't know you're going to be living with me, just yet." She let out a nervous laugh as she walked to the couch in the living room. She plopped herself down on it & grabbed the remote. "I mean he should be fine with it. He knows you're like my brother."

I sat on the couch a few feet from her, leaned on my knees then sighed as I watched her TV come on. "I guess he should be okay if I'm like your brother." I said in a sarcastic tone.

"What? You are like my brother. I mean we've never had feelings for each other or even kissed. Pretty sure we've never seen each other naked either."

I wanted to tell her how wrong she was about the feelings, but I didn't want to open that can of worms right now. I wasn't sure I'd ever open it. "So you feel toward me the exact same way that you feel about Denny?" I asked, referring to her brother & I had my eyebrows up, in a curious way. Denny & Demi were almost two years apart, so I was close to him as well, but he moved to New York right after high school. He was an actor, singer & dancer so he went to Juliard then started doing Broadway shows. He was pretty big out there, but I hadn't seen him since he left. We emailed once in awhile & he sent me a few letters while I was overseas. It didn't matter for him & I, though. No matter how much time passed without seeing each other, we went right back to the way we were the last time we'd seen each other. It was that way for me & Demi, too. I guess it's because we're like family & we've been through so much together.