Unanswered Prayers

Weeks went by & I didn't see Demi at all, but that didn't mean she wasn't on my mind. I was hanging out with Denny a lot & every once in awhile he'd mention her name. I usually asked about her, just to make sure she was okay & he insisted she was. He told me that she got a promotion at work that kept her busy & that she was hanging out with a girl she worked with, pretty often. I was glad she was making new friends & doing well at her job. Denny said she wasn't dating anyone, but I wondered if he would even tell me if she was.

Denny was also cool about sending me a text when Demi was at his apartment, but sadly, she wasn't there often. She tried to avoid it since it increased her chance of seeing me. Denny would come to my place & hang out, even though, I knew Demi wouldn't just show up at his place with no warning. Denny would still see her, since he went to his mom's to do his laundry. Demi would be there, too, sometimes & Denny said she only asked about me once. That broke my heart a little, but I assumed it was because it was too painful for her. Denny also mentioned that he didn't mention me to Demi either, so she wouldn't get upset. I learned that he told his mom what happened between me & Demi, so she kept quiet about me, too. I was pissed at first that he told her, but I figured it was going to come out sooner or later. Dianna was always inviting me over for dinner, too, but I was waiting until I felt comfortable being around her mom, knowing she knew the truth.

I spent my days at work & would sometimes work a few hours on Saturdays if there was work to do. Then most evenings, I went to the gym or hung out with Tucker. I hadn't even been dating anyone since I 'broke up' with Demi. No one seemed to catch my eye the way she did, so I wasn't wasting my time. I was having fun hanging out with Tucker, though & we never were at a loss for the companionship of beautiful women. They flocked to us no matter where we went. I enjoyed just talking & playing pool with girls rather than trying to be one on one with them on a date.

I liked to stay busy, since it helped keep my mind off of Demi, so I tried to never have a moment where I was by myself with just my thoughts. Denny was doing a production of 'The Nutcracker' for his dance company & it kept him busy, but he would come to the gym & workout with me. He was a beast when it came to staying in shape. He was a dancer & his whole life depended on the shape he was in physically.

Thanksgiving was coming, quickly & I had no idea what I was going to do for the holiday. Tucker was going to his family's for dinner, which was a huge ordeal & even though he invited me, I declined. Denny invited me to his family's but I knew Demi was going to be there, so I knew I couldn't go or the feelings would come rushing back. I figured I would be sitting at home on the holiday, but then my mom called me up & said Walter was flying her to Michigan to spend the holiday with him & he wanted to invite me as well. Happily, I accepted the invitation.

My mom & I spent Thanksgiving weekend at Walter's huge mansion in Michigan & I actually had an amazing time. I loved spending the time with my mom & our relationship was, now, like a mother & son's relationship should be. I loved having my mom there for me, especially since I didn't have that for so many years. I confided in my mom about what happened with Demi & she listened & didn't judge. She told me that I was doing the right thing, but she also encouraged me to be friends with Demi again as soon as I felt comfortable.

After my enjoyable holiday weekend, I went back to life, trying to forget my feelings for Demi. It would have been easier if I could forget her all together, but that seemed impossible. Everywhere, there were reminders of her. Even in my apartment, I'd see my box in my bedroom that contained her letters & instantly words she had written me would pop in my head. Eventually, I took the box & put it up on a high shelf in my closet. Any time I saw Denny, I was reminded of Demi, but I dealt with it, because I wasn't losing Denny as a friend, too.