Chin Music

When Demi & I got to the ballfield, we found our seats, which seemed to be where Demi usually sat to cheer on her boyfriend. They were great seats, right behind home plate. Joe was a pitcher & she leaned over to tell me he liked having her in his eyeline, because he said she was his good luck charm. I fought the urge to roll my eyes, instead I looked away from her.

Her & I discussed the other players on Joe's team while we waited for the game to start. She'd been hearing about them for a while now so she was familiar with them all. I pretended to be interested because I just loved to watch her face when she talked. Especially when it was something she was enthusiastic about.

The game got underway & when Joe took his spot on the mound, Demi screamed her praises, but seemed to keep the terms of endearment under wraps. When he struck someone out she stood up & yelled her head off. She didn't do this every time, but she did it often.

Joe's team ended up winning & Demi was super excited. I enjoyed the game, in all honesty, since it was a close game with lots of action & amazing plays. Demi grabbed my arm as I stood up. "Do you want to go back to the clubhouse to meet him? Since they won, he'll definitely socialize after he showers & changes." She sounded so happy & I could tell she really wanted me to meet him, so I agreed & followed her as she led the way.

We got to the clubhouse & there were other important looking people there having cocktails & appetizers. Demi & I stood at a high top table & enjoyed the accommodations while we talked. After a little while, I excused myself to use the restroom. When I came out of the restroom, I saw a girl standing against the wall, not too far away & a guy leaned on the wall facing her, his back to me. The girl was smiling up at the guy, but I couldn't see his face, since he wasn't facing me. She batted her lashes as the guy leaned toward her & I thought he was going to kiss her. Instead he said something into her ear, making her blush then she took his phone & punched something into it before handing it back to him.

"Make sure you call me." She said as she walked away from where she had been standing & I watched him stare at her as she made her way down the hall. I turned & headed back to where Demi was, since I didn't want him to turn around to see I had been watching them.

"Found it okay?" Demi asked when I got to the table & I nodded. A moment later, her face lit up. "There he is." She exclaimed as she hopped off her stool. I turned to watch her run to, who I assumed was Joe. However, I recognized him as the guy from the hall with the girl a few minutes earlier. I didn't need to see him from the back to know it was the same guy. I knew the shirt, because it had holes, in a grid like pattern, on the back, just like it had on the front. I also knew he was clearly a player & I already didn't like him. This wasn't good, though, since Demi, my best friend, looked so happy to see him.

My stomach turned as I watched her kiss him, his hands going to her ass. They turned & walked toward me & I had to count to ten to keep myself from going off on this douchebag. I stood up as the approached & stuck my hand out. "You must be Joe." I said, trying to sound chipper.

Joe nodded, giving me a slight smile & stuck his hand in mine to shake. "And you must be Nick."

"I'm so happy you two are meeting." Demi gushed as she stood between us, then Joe put his arm around her shoulders & I got the feeling he was making a statement, with this gesture.

"Great game, by the way." I said, my attempt at a compliment to this low life.

"Thanks." Joe muttered, looking down at Demi, who was smiling up at him, adoringly. I felt myself get really angry since I knew he was talking to a girl behind Demi's back & getting her phone number. It took a lot of willpower to keep from grabbing this guy by his shirt & choking the life out of him. "Did you enjoy the game?" He asked Demi, who nodded. "You're my good luck charm for sure. We just beat a team who has won their last six games by quite a lot."