Chapter 31

Omniscient

"Will everyone rise." The officer said as he stepped forward. Omari stood beside his lawyer, he was the best in the city and could get anyone out of anything.

Kiah with Nina on her waist, D, Dion, and Brian stood in the pews. They were nervous and didn't have a clue what the judge was going to say." Presenting Judge Genesis Brown." Everyone watched as a tall man that looked 24 years old walk out and sat at his seat." You may sit."

Every sat down and looked around nervously.

Kiah adjusted Nina on her lap as she looked at Omari. He caught her glance and mouthed 'forgive me' to her. She could feel tears stinging her eyes. She wanted to go and slap him and just beat him. But she loved him. And she couldn't wait until it was over so she can give him a big ass hug and a damn beating." Mommy, why is uncle locked up?" Nina asked.

She didn't want to answer. She didn't know the answer.

D overheard her and furrowed her brows." Nina baby?" She sat Nina in her lap. Making sure they maintained eye contact." Uncle did a very bad thing. So that big man up there." She pointed to the judge." Has to decide his fate." She said in a manner that she could understand.

Nina looked at D with her wet googly eyes. Her lip trembled and she could tell she was about to cry.

"Auntie? Why? Don't let the big man kill him. He didn't do nothing. Nope. He didn't." She pouted.

D and Kiah stared at Nina as she flared her feet. They were both about to cry. But they had to keep it together.

"He's not gone kill him baby. He's going to free him." After Kiah said them words Nina calmed down.

"Let's see." The judge adjusted his glasses and looked at some papers." Mr.Lee, your here for the accidental shooting of your niece?" He asked. Omari wiped his wet eyes and stood.

"Yes." He said. He shifted on his feet and squared his shoulders. Omari was scared, angry, sad, and wanted to get out of there. He couldn't stand hearing the words 'accidental shooting.' He already knew what he did and would never forgive himself.

"You do know this is not good for you. Right?"

"Yes."

"Well." He cleared his throat." Mr.Thompson present the evidence." The jury and Kiah, Dion, and D watched the lawyer get his papers together and place them in front of him.

"My client didn't mean to shoot the girl." Omari nudged the side of his lawyer. He didn't like anyone referring to his niece as girl." Mm mm, his niece. He didn't even know she was there."

"Why did he have a gun in the first place?" Omari sucked in air. Damn it's going to end right now. He thought.

"For protection." Mr.Thompson said. Omari exhaled. Thank god for him. He thought." He was polishing his gun until it went off."

Omari knew it was wrong of what he was saying. He wasn't supposed to lie. He wasn't. They wasn't. He just wanted to blurt the truth. But stayed quiet.

The judge glared at him before shifting his papers." The jury thought this over and will decide for you." A lady from the stands got up and stood in front of the court.

She looked at Omari before looking down at the paper." We find Omari Lee.............."