Chapter 12: Alex

It's been a week since I've been Kairi's partner and all of these confusing events occurred. We've been living in the partner dorms and we have been getting used to life with each other since then. I didn't have much of anything that I owned to take with me... other than "the notebook"; a strange small black, hard covered notebook with a lock on it. But, I can't open it, or even leave it alone. Although, there's a strange feeling I have to keep it with me wherever I go. So I do, but other than that. I just leave it alone. When I showed it to Kairi though, she was nervous and said that it was something I used to write in when we were little. I couldn't really remember that either, but I just left it at that.

To wake up every day to Kairi's soft voice, it's amazing. We, sort of, sleep in the same bed. Although, we don't do anything indecent or vulgar (perverts)! We had kissed a few times more since we became partners, but it felt more... awkward. I really enjoy it, yet I am afraid of pushing things too hard on her. She has already been helping me heal. My wounds almost closed up. I'm worried she might push herself way too hard for my sake though. She is doing everything around that I can't. Although the stitches and bandages should help me help her, she insists I just rest. I don't take any medication though, it's a regulation in the school that you heal on your own, not including surgery or a doctor, just no meds. Or you die, so it's made for only the strong to survive. So, the pain still exists. Which means I can hardly help her with some things without getting slashed with pain, but I... still want to help her.

I twitched in my sleep, and remembered the days of my childhood. Kairi and I have had so many memories together, and now I guess we'll make more. Yet, something's wrong. One memory is so fuzzy and confusing it makes me worry if everything's going to be alright. All I can remember about it is walking up to a small church. The bell rings a few times and someone smiles at me, then... I can't remember. It's blurry from there... it makes my head ache as I try to remember it. It was the day Kairi left the orphanage...

I woke up, and opened my eyes, to see Kairi leaning over me, affectionately. She kissed me on the cheek.

"Morning. You sleep well?" I smiled back at her. I grabbed her around her waist and threw her onto the bed next to me. I embraced her close against me. Her face reddened as I kissed her.

"I slept well. How about you?"

I listened to Kairi giggle as she said,

"Well... I slept well. But, I think you need a little more rest. I am not going to have you dying on me."

I slightly frowned at her. I sat upright onto the bed, as my chest split again. I held my, clean, plaid white shirt tightly in my hand, for air. Kairi rushed worriedly at my side, and felt my wound.

"Alex, you should get some rest, okay. You and I still have a long life together ahead of us. I'll take care of you, okay?"

The pain went away, slowly, on its own. I grabbed her hand and putt it onto my heart.

"Okay. Don't forget though, you are dear to my heart. Don't push yourself to hard. I'll make sure to stay with you no matter what anyways."

It lit up her face as Kairi smiled brightly at me. She pulled her hand away from my chest and slid off of the bed.

Once she stepped off however, I felt an urge of desire-er-of embarrassment. I noticed what she is wearing. She is wearing small, tight workout shorts, and a loose t-shirt of mine. Her hair falls gently behind her shoulders. She looks so damn cute! I stared at her as my cheeks crimsoned on their own. I shook my head to get rid of any indecent thoughts.

She compassionately turned around and looked at me embarrassed.

"You know, Alex. I've been thinking and..."

Her embarrassment is completely exposed.

"I have had some... er... Thoughts about you and me, and well-!"

I looked at her a little shocked, yet surprised. I... I don't know how to respond... I nodded my head.

"Shh. D-Don't worry about it. You don't have to do anything like that, okay, Kay?"

Kairi calmed down a bit. She smiled back at me. We heard our door open, and looked towards the direction of the doorway. We watched as Willis walked into our room. He has a half expression of warning and a half irritated look; but he put on a fake smile as he stepped out of the doorway. He looks somewhat grim.

"You two settling in good?"

I replied with concern, "Yea, we've settled in... What's wrong?"

Willis' face became completely grim, and his words hardly muttered out of his mouth,

"W...We're at war. We leave tomorrow. You two will be in my division... I'm sorry. I tried my hardest, but, they said there would be no exceptions. I'm terribly sorry you two."

I stared at Willis dumbfounded. War? There's no way...?! I looked at him confused. Kairi started to argue,

"We can't go! Have you even seen the condition Alex is in right now?!" Willis glanced at me, and quickly turned around to look at her and said, "I'm sorry. Look. There is nothing I can do about it."

Willis walked back towards the door without another word. He stopped at the doorway, and left me and Kairi speechless. He sighed and continued to walk out. I raised my voice as I told him,

"Will. What's going on?"

I watched him as he stopped, not looking back.

"It has something to do with that case, doesn't it?!"

Willis turned around to look at me apologetically, yet surprised.

He sighed again.

"Fine. Both of you follow me if you really want to know, okay? I found the case and there is something I think you should watch. I haven't shown anyone else, or even told anyone else."

That left me more confused then I already am. I glanced at Kairi. She walked up to the bed and sighed.

"Alex. Should we go? I don't know about this..."

I shook my head. Honestly I don't want to know what is in that damn case. If she doesn't want to, then we won't.

"We don't have to, if you don't want to."

She smiled, relieved. I looked back at Willis and watched as he rolled his eyes.

"Fine. If you two change your minds... come to my office."

Willis walked out the door and shut it behind him.

I looked back at Kairi who walked up to the bed. She lied onto the bed and scooted close to me. My heart started to beat a little faster. I stared at her. Her face is completely red. I felt her forehead with my hand. She feels hot.

"Kairi, are you feeling okay? You feel warm."

Kairi only laughed playfully at my question. She slid on top of me.

"No silly. Remember what we were talking about before?"

My cheeks crimsoned and I swallowed hard. My heartbeat raced faster and faster; ready to explode. I leaned close to her and kissed her, as I replied,

"How could I forget?"