Chapter 16: Jace

The entire week I have avoided Alex. Honestly it is hard to talk to him, to even see him with that girl. I had almost jumped off a fricken window to my utter demise! Seriously, who the hell wouldn't say I have problems?! I can't deny it, and I want someone to hel- I can't. My problems are no one's but my own!!! I will not get Alex involved. Alex has new responsibilities now. Some I can't interfere with.

Yet... I have felt more helped by Evan the past few days. After he had confronted me in that room, after I found out that Evan knew my dirty secret. We even explained everything to each other afterwards. Evan was worried about me, or at least he says he was. It feels like I've gotten closer to him; closer than I thought possible. Something, more of a wild guess, has also bugged me for the past few days. But it's probably not the best time to think on that.

Everyone has to board a ship in the next few hours, at the edge of town. What may be our last few hours...

The sad thing though, is that none of these other impudent idiots that I call my classmates, other than my friends, have any real reason to fight for!

I walked along the dirt path through the courtyard in the middle of the academy. I stopped at the foot of the forest, at the point where the small forest spread open to allow the path to continue. However, I can't continue down it, because for some stupid reason, it was closed off a few days ago. Only a thin piece of Caution tape tied from one tree to the next. They couldn't even give a straight answer as to why they closed it.

I looked around to see if anyone else was around.

Carefully I stepped over the tape, and continued along the path. Hell, if I have a high chance of dying, might as well learn a few secrets, and do a few things I shouldn't. I continued my stroll along the dirt path. Slowly a thought crossed my mind.

Do I even have a reason worth fighting for? It's not like I really do. What possible thing do I have to live for? To throw my life away for? I shook my head and slammed my hand against a nearby tree.

I looked to my left and noticed a tall cloaked figure in the middle of the path looking down it. Curious... what's he doing there?

I took my hand off the tree and walked toward him-her... whatever it is. Suddenly I remembered what the men who attacked the school looked like, though it was too late.

The cloaked figure turned around so quickly that it was blur in my eyes. In an instant I felt the sting of the person's fist as it hit my stomach and knocked all the air out if me. I gagged and leaned forward to try and recuperate. A punch shouldn't even hurt that bad! Pain sprouted from the blow throughout my body.

Hopefully he didn't break anything...

I stood myself strait. I felt a half grin grow on my face. I took in a few breaths to regain the air that I lost. I just can't take this anymore!!! It's like everything is out for me... I looked straight ahead of me to see the cloaked figure applaud me. Slowly it clapped its hands together, to mock me. That just ticked me off for the last time!

I ran forward and threw my fist at the... the... Damn! Whoever or whatever the hell it is!!!

I hit the tree behind it with his fist as the figure swiftly dodged. My knuckles smacked into the bark of the tree started to burn. I turned around to see the man. I'll just assume it's a man.

"What's the matter? Too scared to fight me?! Or are you happy with one punch! Get over here so I can kick-your-ass!!"

The cloaked man only laughed in my face, and answered back,

"Oho! Are you now? I did just have a few questions to ask."

Obviously in a man's voice.

I watched him jump backwards and land as agile as a bird, on a branch to the tree behind him. I stepped back, to stare at him with such hate, but in a respectful awe. I whispered under my breath,