The war girl

Every night Nux would bring something else to make me look more like them. "Blaaaade!" Nux shouted in a singsong voice. I stopped working on the steering wheel and turned around to see him coming in with two large buckets of paint.

"Nux what's in those?" I said in a puzzled tone. "It's the white and black clay we use to cover ourselves!"

I turned back around and kept working on my steering wheel. Then I felt a cold hand slap on my back. I tensed up under the touch of Nux hand and the cold white clay. "How 'bout a warning next time Nux!" In addition to the clay, goggles and jacket Nux gave me. I had also started picking up on the slang that the war boys used.

"Sorry, Blade..." He continued spreading the clay over the bare areas of my back. Then he grabbed my shoulders and spun me around. He started lathering the clay all over my face, Arms and chest. It smelled chalky and made my nose tingle. I wrinkled my nose and Nux sniggered at me. "Smelly right?" He said raising his eyebrows at me.

"Ya" I nodded my head and he continued his work. "Done!" He said standing back and smiling. "Oh! One more thing!" He reached behind him and grabbed the bucket of black clay.

He dipped his hand in the clay and smeared it around my eyes and on the bridge of my nose. He stuck his Tongue out in concentration. I stared at his scarred lips and recalled that day.

My hand had turned white during the process, he squeezed it really hard. He didn't cry though. Not even a single tear. "Okay! Now we're really done!"  He said wiping his clay covered hands on his cargo pants.

He handed me a small knife. "Cut yer hair" he said pointing to my messy blonde locks. I'm not gonna lie I was pretty fond of my hair and i was most definitely not going to cut it all off. But by now it was almost at my butt so
I took the knife and sliced away at it until it was just below my shoulders.

"Blade aren't ya gonna cut it all?" He gestured to my hair. "No, do I need to?" I asked raising an eyebrow. "Guess not. Well I think we're bout done" he said putting his hands on his narrow hips.

"Oh, Nux there's one more thing" he scrunched his eyebrows at me trying to remember if he had forgotten anything.

"Nux I want a scar"