6. Same 'Ol Shower Singer Me

We were in her car and a Jason Miraz song came on the radio. I started singing.

“I’m yoooooooooouuuuuurrrrs. Hmmmm mmmm” I sang. Jason Miraz has the funniest style.

“Your still singing?” she asked.

“Of course. I wouldn’t stop for the world,” I said, which was probably true.

“I loved your singing, but you never wanted to show it off” Also true.

“Hey, I hear there’s that talent contest thing in Time Square,” she said casually. I didn’t like where this was going.

“What about it?” I asked, casually.

“What else? You should enter!”

“What’s the point of that? This is New York City, no one wants to hear a shower singer”

“Well there’s no way you’d lose”

We listened to music for a while, and we talked. She said that she was miserable in France so as soon as she was 18, her parents sent her back to New York. She only had the $2000 dollars that her parents gave her, and she was almost broke after two weeks. One day, she was walking around the city, wondering what to do with her life, when this girl ran into a perfume shop and ran out carrying about 27 perfumes, probably stolen. Margaux witnessed the whole thing and called the police. They came immediately and asked her any details she could remember. She explained exactly what happened and they found her. She was put in jail for two weeks. The police thanked Margaux and offered her a reward of $5000 dollars, but she denied it and asked for a job.

“Why would someone do that?” I asked her. I was actually kind of mad at the people with that kind of nerve.

“Well I think her mother and sister died a week before.”

“But still… Do you know her name?”

“Its kind of all a blurry mess. I think it might’ve been Veronica, something like that. We’re not sure yet, but I think we have evidence that she committed arson as well” Veronica… Arson…

“Wow that’s an amazing story”

“Thank you”

“Wait. So, when was that contest again?” I asked slyly.

She giggled

“Next Saturday night. Will you enter?”

“Maybe…” She laughed.

“Nice to see you again! Here’s my phone number,” she scribbled on a piece of paper. “Call me anytime!”

“Of course! Thanks for bringing me home”

“No problem. I should get going… bye!”

“See you later!!”  I said, and with that, she was gone. Now I was really considering entering that contest…

•••

Drew wasn’t home, out with Vanessa (gack), and nobody was in the house but me. I was in the kitchen, when I spotted my laptop on the counter. I looked around, no one was there, and sat down on the chair beside it. I looked around again; I don’t know why I was being so ridiculous about this. It was clear that no one was home. I guess I just like being dramatic sometimes. I slyly opened the laptop and typed in Google, “New York Talent: Manhattan auditions”. I hit enter and immediately saw a link to “last minute auditions for New York Talent: Manhattan” I clicked it fast.

And an application form came out. I filled it all out sent it. As I was about to close the computer, I heard Drew’s laugh. WAIT! Oh no! He can’t know that I’m doing this! Naomi! Why not? You’re acting really stupid. Oh my god! Why do I always talk to myself? I wonder what face I have on right now? It probably looks so stupid. Why don’t you say something? Because if I do, it’ll probably come out slurred! Uh oh, he’s laughing at me. What difference does it make if I say something now? I already look ridiculous.

“What are you doing?” he asked. Damn it! What do I say??

“Nothing,” I said, and I slammed the laptop shut, but my fingers was on the keyboard, so my hand hurt badly. Man, was I being stupid!

He just laughed at me.

“Wait why are you here? Where’s Vanessa?” I hoped the answer would be “in jail again”, but I knew it wouldn’t be.

“I don’t know. She ran off again” 

“Drew, you have to—“ I couldn’t say it. I just couldn't find the heart to tell him to dump her.

And yes, i know that sounded very sappy.

“When are those auditions?” he asked. What? How did he find out?

“How do you know about them?”

“I saw the computer screen, genius” Duh.

I smiled. It didn’t even matter, anyway.

“Tomorrow at four. What should I sing?”

“I have one idea” he said and placed his iPod on the dock. I smile at the song he picked…

“Nevermind, I'll find someone like yoooou. I wish nothing but the best for yoooou” I sang and sang and sang.

I love Adele, she's like my idol. And Someone Like You is one of my favorite songs by her. It was also the song playing when I met Drew at the school dance. I needed to get ready for the audition.

“Thanks!” I said as I flew by drew and down the stairs. I needed to be prepared for the auditions and get in! I laid out my clothes on my bed for the audition. I put my guitar by my outfit and got out some sheet music for “Someone Like You”. I practiced all night; voice and guitar. I got pretty good, but I needed to get it perfect. I kept practicing.

•••

The next day I woke up covered in my sheet music. I must’ve crashed while I was practicing! Oh no. I looked at the clock. Good. Only twelve, so I have four hours to get ready. I kept practicing and practicing. I got dressed and all ready. I took a deep breath, grabbed my guitar, sheets, purse, and Mazzerati keys. I walked out the doors, about to leave, when who do I see on the steps? Vanessa, no surprise. Her eyes were puffy and red. Crying again? What now? I really didn’t want to help her, but a part of me felt sad. I sat down next to her. I couldn’t believe myself.

“Hey. What’s wrong?”

“Go away,” she snapped. Dang. Pouty.

“No. Tell me what’s wrong” Shut up, Naomi!

“Please! Go away!” I sighed in my head.

“Fine" God, finally some common sense from you, I thought. I left and opened my car door. Before I got in, I looked back. She looked really sad. Don’t look back, don’t look back. I got in my car and drove past the crying Vanessa, and into my possible future.