Chapter 1

Coconut, exotic, blue, green, tropical, paradise, beach, island; Barbados. These words came to mind while riding along the coastline of the island.

A red/ black twenty fifteen FZ25 sped across the coast road weaving through traffic as gracefully as the rider could carry. The imagery and colours of the scenery brought back a nostalgic feeling, if only the time could be taken to admire it all immensely but it was Monday; a school day, and the rider; Marcelo Bailey wasn't about to be late for college.

Leaving the coast and heading inland, he passed a number of commercial buildings that only thickened in population as he neared the college. He had been to the place before for orientation and what's not but a feeling of nervousness overcame him as he stopped at security flashing his identification.

The guard looked at his ID photo then at him, raising an eyebrow making the young man feel uneasy. The guard reached around his belt slowly, purposely keeping eye contact with Marcelo making him more nervous. It wasn't as if he forgot anything- he packed, made sure and double checked everything that he needed to have stipulated by the college.

The guard pulled out a radio causing an ease in Marcelo, the guard held it up to his face with a sly look in his eye about to say something.

"Yea Andrew, we got a double o eight." He spoke into radio. Marcelo was more offended than fearful because of the guard's choice of language. He knew this wasn't England but he could have at least have some shred of professionalism in him and speak properly.

"Okay son, you have to go to the office, you know where that is? I need you to follow that red arrow there." The guard pointed to a sign with a red arrow not giving Marcelo a chance to talk for himself.

"Go to the arrow and turn right and follow the corridor, you gonna pass two rights, take the second right and go down that corridor til you get to a wooden door. The first glass door you come onto is where you gotta go." He spoke near incomprehensible again. Marcelo shook his head when the guard asked if he had to repeat the instructions, there was no way Marcelo wanted to hear another word escape that man's lips.

He pulled along his bike to the arrow pointing to his right- up the corridor, the writing on the arrow had 'office' plastered across it. He rolled his eyes knowing he had a better chance reading the signs rather than take directions from the guard.

He followed the path tugging his bike with him, gaining direct, almost rude-like stares from those around. He wondered if it was his physical appearance- he didn't exactly have the African textured hair that everyone had but he had enough melanin in his skin to be accepted. So he dropped it as stares on behalf of the bike.

He turned his attention back to the signs to distract him from the obvious gossip from female students and disgusted stares from the males. The second right turn- another sign directing to the student affairs office and other departments to his right, Marcelo really didn't need that guard at all. He parked the bike just clear of pedestrian traffic and went through the glass door marked student affairs, another guard inside looked at him intently. Marcelo wondered what this one's attitude would be like now.

~.~

"And I'm here." Marcelo exhaled pulling up to parking. He looked around the small parking lot surveying the grounds of the place with not much to see: empty parking spaces in the section he was in- no other vehicles. Marcelo walked the bike a bit closer to his homeroom- House One as described on one of the print-outs he got from the office, apparently he would be spending a lot of time here in this room. It was nice, not too far from the parking lot and the door was close enough if he wanted to make a quick getaway. He walked closer to the shade of the building and pulled off his helmet. Shaking out his hair he spied into a gazebo- standing alone in the middle of the land space surrounded by the other homerooms. There were about six groups of people made up of twos or fours and two other guys and a girl in the gazebo.