Chapter 10

Marcelo busied himself sweeping the courtyard with an old fashioned straw broom made from the dried and cured leaves of a palm tree. There wasn't much for him to do around the villas, actually there wasn't anything to be done at all. Not as long as he didn't get the approval from the Commercial Building and Development in the island could he do anything with this place. Actually he had sent off the notes his father required and they- the board had to make sure everything was what they wanted before the plans came back down to send to the local authorities. So to past the time from college and college work and the entire breakup situation that still ate at him; Marcelo distracted himself with dealing with the very tedious things around the villas.

His plan now- however things went once he got free time, were to sweep the front courtyard as he was doing now and the back one under the glass shed. Then to trim the trees and shrubs before raking everything together. The pool could wait, not as if it was going to have any water in it anytime soon. Then he could work on individually assessing the rooms and putting things back in place or at least tidy them. It seemed like a good plan in his head, but just that- it would stay in his head for when he thought about it, it seemed to be way too much work for his one.

"Baby steps Marcelo, baby steps." He continued sweeping away from the building to the entrance by the road.

"Hey! Watch what you're doing!" Someone yelled causing him to actually jump but held the broom defensively about to attack whomever.

"Oh my gosh!" He swung the direction he heard the command come from and stopped the broom just a few feet away from someone in grey sweatpants.

"Are you trying to kill me?!" The person squeaked, Marcelo figured it was a woman when he looked- a man would've tackled him already not using words.

"No! No, no. Sorry. I truly am." He begged forgiveness first before studying the woman in front of him carefully. Grey sweatpants- yes. Matching sports bra and a podcast strapped to her arm with earbuds. Her auburn hair was pinned up in a messy style- she really looked the part of a jogger, her body confirmed that. Nicely sculpted toned legs and flat tummy. His first thought now that he looked at her; she reminded him of Nicole with her tall slim figure but Nicole was Caucasian. This girl had a more tan complexion on her; not as tan as Marcelo was but not quite like Quill's complexion either. She was a lighter chocolate than Marcelo, that was what he left it as.

"But I must ask why you are running so close to a construction site?" Marcelo hit back. The woman looked at the building biting her lip knowing that it was for safety purposes that pedestrians should always be cautious around construction sites, but something was missing that stuck out to her and she lashed back.

"I don't see any signs." She shot a smug look at him folding her arms.

"Neither does this place look like it's under any construction." She felt proud. Marcelo at this point was lost as what to say- she was right.

"How do I even know you are authorized to be here?" She dropped the smile and caught Marcelo off guard.

"Why shouldn't I call the police right now and have you arrested for loitering on private property or whatever?" She threatened. Marcelo didn't take her seriously and called her bluff. She took her phone from her arm and started tapping the screen. Marcelo knew there was no way he could get in trouble and when- if they came, he would have her arrested instead for whatever he could come up with. Marcelo smiled devilishly in his thought propping on the broom. It was only after he thought about how childish she was being did he realize he had no proof of ownership to the place. The right document to prove his innocence was home and the even better document for him being there wasn't sent yet!

"Damn." He swore under his breath wondering what to do.

"Hang up the phone." She looked up at him through her lashes as she put the phone to her ear. She smiled to herself half turning away from him. Marcelo bit his lip and exhaled exasperatedly looking away at the ground- he had to do something.