Chapter 20

"I beg your pardon? Are you seriously working tonight? ... Well that's bloody fantastic innit? ... Sorry, just upset. ... Well ... Okay ... I guess I'll see you tomorrow? ... Later? ... Okay then ... Bye." Marcelo cut off the phone and tossed it beside him on the sofa.

"Got dumped again?" Stanley asked beside him lounging just as carefree.

"Not even as close, just stood up."

"Oh yea?" Stanley turned to him amused.

"No not really, Alyssa had to cancel because her boss wanted her to work tonight for the Halloween Party."

"And can't you go?"

"She doesn't want me there. Which is funny but she said it won't be fun that we had originally planned to be together tonight and that I'd go there while she's working."

"Buzzed." Stanley chuckled, "So what's your plans now then?"

"I've no idea, what are you getting into tonight?" Marcelo met his eyes.

"Well Shanae wanted to watch a movie tonight, guess I'll go do that."

"Oh." Marcelo turned away then back at him again, "Look at you! Dating and everything now."

"No, no. It's not a date." Stanley replied firmly yet the slight linger of doubt sounded in his voice, "But saying that, what's this about that promise beer getting drank?"

"Oh yea." Marcelo smiled recalling the night.

"Well Alyssa and I... Well I think she may be the one."

"You think she may? That doesn't sound so convincing, let alone for you." Stanley roughed a smug look, Marcelo smiled weakly and looked down at his hands searching for words.

"Well, she drank the beer- that night we shared a couple."

"And you believe through some miracle of the universe that she's the one?" Stanley cut in trying to piece Marcelo's logic together.

"Is it wrong?"

"Let me tell you what I think; those miracles only work for those in movies and lucky people. Figure out which one you are." Stanley stood up and headed over to the kitchen looking inside the refrigerator for a drink. Marcelo thought about those words; he never was one to hold onto movie magic and believed it happened to those in real life. Neither did he exactly believe in universal luck- just working for what you wanted. So why was he believing in the fact that Alyssa was the one for him so much just because she had drank the beer he had put sentimental value to?

It wasn't as if he had even worked towards a relationship, furthermore his thoughts opened up to the fact that he wasn't even looking for a relationship with her, he enjoyed her company as was and she wasn't like the other girls he had come across. It was sad that he used such a poor excuse however and even though nothing was made official, they actually acted like a couple.

"Hey Marcelo, which of these beers here can be used?" Stanley ran in front his train and pushed him off the tracks completely, making him forget what he was contemplating.

"What's that?"

"Beers, which one?" He pointed animatedly to the fridge looking at Marcelo.

"You're actually asking me. Doesn't seem like you to do such." Marcelo snided with sarcasm.

"Cor, forgive me for having manners yea?" Stanley reached in scoffing and pulled out a random bottle slamming the fridge shut, something clicked in Marcelo about how he pulled out the beer and if Alyssa did the same but as quick as the thought came it vanished leaving him puzzled.