Chapter 27

Heavy rains poured soundly on the roof of Marcelo's beach house after five thirty- minutes to six Saturday morning, he looked at his phone and sighed tossing it back on the bed, it was nine minutes to six and to him the rain hadn't let up since the previous day. He wasn't even sure it was Saturday, only the contrast given to the grey clouds that the sun was rising was his proof. It didn't make sense closing the blinds on his glass wall, it was dark either way and he watched as the short palm tree just off his property dance animatedly in the tossing wind.

Marcelo hadn't gotten much sleep if he got any at all, he was up thinking about what Stanley said just hours ago. The words replayed in his mind as if Stanley were still saying it in his ear; Serenity was coming for a visit and not just a ten day stay-cation, she was going to spend the rest of the year and however long after. They had stayed up talking all night firstly about Serenity visiting, then the reasons for it turned to the business plans and how he had gotten the documents. They discussed some plans and about factoring in Mrs. Hatcher but it still ended up on Serenity.

Stanley had left sometime after midnight when the rains had held up and Marcelo was in bed after a hot shower ever since just thinking about her. Serenity was his best-friend and even more than that. They knew each other for years, he was convinced even from birth. They did everything together and everything more when they got older; they dated for a couple months short of a year when they were teenagers and both lost their virginity to the other but it turned out to be just experimental given they were so close. Marcelo dated someone after and they were together for two years only sleeping together a couple times before she left for across England to study.

Back then Marcelo thought about Serenity after their 'breakup' and every time he asked to talk she said she was fine. He admired how strong she was about it but somehow he felt as if he wasn't doing enough as her best-friend. He didn't want to say they drifted but she was attending one college while he did higher studies in secondary school before getting involved in dad's business and eventually coming to the island. It felt messy to him how their friendship decayed and now all of a sudden she was to make an appearance. It clicked to him- why was Stanley the one to know this information before him, he would sum it up to the point that him and Serenity haven't talked in a while but this was still something. He picked up his phone but there was a text from Nathalie;

5:59: Hey, you up?

5:59: Mornin

6:01: Morning, I  barely slept a wink. is everrything okay?

6:02: Aren't you the perfect gentleman, I'm fine just woke up early.

6:02: And why is that?

6:02: You ask so many questions, cant i just msg u?

6:03: never said you couldnt, but meh

6:04: because

She was typing and stopping repeatedly.

6:06: Stuppse, sigh. nxt ui trlk me i csnt mias u

6:06: next thing youll say i cant miss you*

6:07: *Thinker Emoji* what was that? lol, fallen off to sleep again?

6:08: No, i was typing with my left hand.

6:09: but why *Laughing Tears Emoji*

She typed but stopped and didn't reply for a while leaving Marcelo staring at the screen.

6:12: Anyhow, the fellas put off the beach day with the tropical wave that passing the island