Chapter 23

Here's some clarity on this chapter;

Conkies - a Barbadian delicacy usually found in great abundance around the island's independence in the month of November. Conkies is a treat made from pumpkin and preference of raisins. It is culturally wrapped in banana leaves while cooking to enhance flavour. Pronounced "con-keys" or accented "coun-keez".

Iz - hardened pronunciation for is.

Dawg - is used to show friendship; I.e - homey.

De - hardened pronunciation for the.

Eva - broken form of ever

Cawbleh - the bajan equivalent for the British 'Cor Blimey' meaning to curse one's eyesight.

Wuh - what

Dem - Them

Tomar - shortened form for tomorrow.

I think it should be pretty easy to follow.

~.~

"Conkies?"

"Conkies!"

"I don't get it, am I saying it right? Conkies?" Marcelo looked over to Stanley then back at a more-than-enthusiastic Quill.

"Nah, iz Conkies." Quill worded for him.

"I don't get it, I think we're pronouncing it right. You're just stressing the 'o' a bit more and giving it a hard 's' at the end." Marcelo shifted his vision to Stanley for support.

The three guys inclusive of one female from the class hung out at lunch in Marcelo's homeroom discussing some of the island's cultural festivities happening in the month of November for the island's independence celebration.

"It's amazing, we've been here on several occasions and even I'm partly Barbadian. Yet I've never heard or sampled such. Is it really as good as you say it is?"

"Yes big man!" Quill sucked his teeth, "Dog, Conkies is de best thing you could eva eat." Quill held a solemn expression as if he were ready to fight.

"Big man," Sucked again, "especially if them got in raisins?" His voice went up an octave, "cawbleh." Quill threw back his head in pretense ecstasy. Marcelo couldn't help the chuckle; watching Quill purposely lose his cool like that was entertaining, also as to mention his choice of words in expressing such.

"Nuh-uh! Wuh nonsense you talking so early Thursday morning! Raisins wuh? Dem tings so nasty! Gimme dem hot an' I good. Leff out dem raisins do." The girl was adamant in her disgust for the fruit, rolling her eyes and neck in the process.

"But ain't nuh body ask you Kris-Lynn." Quill stressed his 'ask', "Look, tomar, I gine bring some fuh de men. Wid raisins too." He sucked his teeth once more before giving the desk a soft hit to signal he was leaving, Kris-Lynn also got up with him to leave.

"Well that chap certainly loves a chin wag doesn't he?" Stanley laughed a little focusing on Marcelo intently now, Marcelo held a very conspicuous expression that he made no effort to conceal. Stanley noticed this either way and as usual prodded him to speak up.

"So what's got your knickers in a knot?" He kept his grin, no answer.

"Come on, tell me; didn't you have fun last night?" Marcelo twitched at the memory but only pinned his lips.

"Oy, it's rude enough to not answer questions, but to hear and purposely not answer- now you're asking for a slugging." Stanley held forward bringing his face closer.