Chapter 26

Marcelo found it strangely coincidental that Haylee's mother would work precisely where he had to go; something has to be different, maybe she worked near the Royal Express? But Haylee did say her mother worked there, probably a different department? Seriously, how many departments could a post office have? Marcelo was brainstorming the facts so much that he didn't notice Haylee being pulled away by a strong wind that was taking away her documents.

"Are you okay?" He caught her mid flight, chortling.

"Um yes." She tensed realizing she was in his arms and quickly pulled away.

"I can't lose these documents."

"Don't you have an envelope for them?" He questioned watching her aligning them.

"Yes, but it's back at the car. Come on, let's go before the rain catches us." Her voice got quiet but Marcelo made out enough to understand her.

"Blimey, where did those come from?" He startled her with his expression, she looked at him watching in the sky.

"What? The clouds? Didn't you hear the weather report? Welcome to the Caribbean." She spoke so mediocre walking the other direction from him.

"So it's true your mother works at Royal Express, and you're not just kidnapping me?" He teased a little getting in the car but saw her tense up while putting on the seat belt. Marcelo folded his lips forgetting Haylee was an introvert, he had to watch what he said around her and decided to keep chatter to a minimum. He was hoping she wouldn't freak on him and held his breath watching her buckle the belt slowly and fidget with the keys. She turned the key in the ignition and held a small smile herself, exhaling soundly she looked at him and asked what if she were. Marcelo only snickered and smiled not wanting to rile her- he would allow her to take the reigns.

When they pulled out the parking lot Marcelo noted the sky and the grey clouds overhead, it stunned him that it was so sunny and cloudless only moments earlier now the wind was picking up and the sky overcast.

"So your mum, she works at Royal Express. Do you have to meet her? Is that why you chose to give me a ride?" He chose his words carefully not wanting to scare her, she held a small smile.

"You're a smart guy." He relaxed a little.

"Thanks I guess but I bet you're smarter." Small talk. Haylee lost her smile and he froze.

"No! no, no. I'm not calling you a nerd or anything, its just, ah hell." Now he was fumbling his words, this brought a laugh from her and she seemed to speed up a little. Marcelo said nothing but looked out the window at the darkening sky and cool air that blew through his hair.

They had taken the coastal scenic route and had actually passed his house, he was going to comment and tell her but decided against it for what thoughts may go through her head about him, maybe he was just over thinking again. They passed the Baywalk mall on the left, Ashley's place on the right and the road side bar a bit further up on the right where Nathalie's friends and him spent that night after camp.

Many memories surfaced in his thoughts about the past couple months, it was about three months maybe more and so much had happened already. He took out his phone and stared at the black screen for a while before turning it on, he continued to stare at it before it slept again. The memories he made; meeting Rica, linking with Rashad and getting to know Alyssa, the break up and the trouble that followed, meeting Nicole and their night spent together. He thought about Nathalie, her friends, what they talked about and the physically close times he shared with her. He unlocked the phone and texted her remembering she wanted to see him.

13:16: hey, I didnt make it to the college, my rides down and i have villa business to attend so ill have to ring you later

He bit his nail sighing, it wasn't like him to have a heavy heart but he was highly worried about his motorcycle and not having it to ride. On the bright side it probably wasn't a bad thing since the sky was dark and looked to burst with rain at any moment.