Mistake?

Laura pov:

Why does the world hate me? Just when I'm starting to feel like I'm drama free, the lord has to sweep down and object.

"What do you mean she's missing?" I inhale sharply, waiting for Austin's eyes to meet mine.

After shaking his head in frustration, he finally looks up. "I don't know."

How do you not know I want to say but I shouldn't. I won't.

"After you and Ross-" he motions to Ross for a mere second eyeing him like a hawk, "went off on your own, Ally and I had our own conversation... She..."

He hesitates, and after a few seconds of silence continues. "She said we weren't working out and then left."

"Maybe she went somewhere to cool off. A bar maybe..?"

"No." He says, dodging the idea with a stern shake of his head. "That's not like Ally. If she were upset she would never go to a bar..."

I know I should feel bad for him, I really should. But a small part of me can't help but wish he would just... Leave.

I'm sure Ally's fine and'll return sometime... I just wish Ross and I could be alone for a while and not have to worry about helping others.

I'm so tired of playing the hero.. I want to play the careless teenager for a change.

"No offence, Austin-" I say turning my head slightly to take a peek at Ross.

He stands behind me like a guard dog, ready to pounce at anyone who dares hurt me. Why couldn't I admit to myself I loved him before?

"But, I'm not entirely sure how I can help you find her... To be fair, I barely know her."

Austin's hazel eyes stare into mine and after an awkward silence, Ross nudges me from behind obviously hinting to snap out of whatever it was that just happened.

"You're right." He finally says now looking at Ross. "I'm sorry I bothered you. Goodbye Laura."

I open my mouth to oblige, only to close it immediately. I have nothing to say. Even though I feel bad and guilty, a bigger part of me feels glad he's not dragging me into his mess.

"Ross." Austin says glancing at Ross as if to say bye. In an awkward we're not friends but we're not enemies kind of way.

I feel the strong, callused, hands of Ross lay on my shoulders as we both stand at the door watching Austin slowly walk down the pavement of the cottage.

A faint breeze blows through the door into the cottage making me shiver a little. Did I do the right thing?

"C'mon.." Ross says quietly from behind me. His hands squeeze my shoulders a bit tighter, pulling me away from the door. "Let's go, don't want you to catch a cold."

"Y..yeah." I mumble as Ross closes the door. And it is that moment there that I realised... I've made a mistake.

+++

"Ross.." I whisper from the edge of his bed.

It's 5:32 am. Why am I up this early? A guilty conscious.

"Ross..." I whisper again, this time placing a hand on his shoulder and shaking him hard.

"Mhm..." He groans stirring a little.