Goodbye

Ross pov:

"Knock Knock." I gently tease knocking on the door to the room I share with Laura. It's closed leaving only a small crack open, just enough for me to peak in without her noticing, but of course, I don't. I knock like a gentlemen. "Can I come in?"

I press my ear against the door forgetting it isn't closed and end up adding too much weight, pushing the door wide open.

"Ross!" I hear Laura gasp. She zips by me a blur, as I fall to the ground with a thump. "You okay...?"

I catch a glimpse of Rydel as she hurriedly leaves the room.

"Yeah.." I mumble really embarrassed. She grabs my arm helping me up to my feet, her hands pressing against my forearm and a cold finger slips inside the edge of my sleeve, touching my skin. A burning sensation fills the spot and I try to ignore it.

"What happened?"

"Uh..." I mumble regaining my footing. And my hand reaches behind my neck. Force of habit. "Tripped... And.. Fell..." As I look towards her realizing how dumb my excuse was, my eyes shift from the light glow of her cheeks to the piles and piles of clothing laying on my bed behind her.

"So, I see you're packing.." My voice comes out awkward and choppy. Not how I planned this conversation to turn out.

She turns her head to the side looking behind her shoulder. "Oh yeah." She mumbles with a small chuckle. "Kinda hard to believe the summers almost over."

The focus of my attention, now being on my shoes, I shift my weight from one side to the other, fidgeting... A LOT. "Yeah..." I manage to choke out.

"Remember the day I knocked on your guys door and you answered?"

"Oh no..." I laugh lifting my head up to look at her. The awkwardness is gone and I instantly feel better not thinking abut the situation at hand. "Don't go down memory lane!!!"

"I have to! You made me feel bad! Now it's payback. The first day!!! You opened the door yelled no a couple times then shut the door on my face." She's full on laughing now. "Remember??"

"Yes!!" I chuckle as well. "How could I not. At the time it was the worst day of my life."

"And now?" She suddenly asks getting quiet. I notice her sudden step towards me which makes me gulp. And a little sweaty to be honest.

well this got nerve wracking fast.

"W..what do y...you m..mean?" I stutter trying to control my breathing.

She takes another step, her bottom lip pressed between her teeth as she bit it.

"Laura..." I begin backing up a bit. The more I step backwards, the more she gets closer. Like a wild animal hunting it's prey.

"You didn't answer my question," she whispers with her eyes staring deep into mine. "Is it the worst day of your life?"

I force my attention away, and look slightly above her. "Yeah." I tease. "It is actually. I'm so glad you're leaving Laura."

Her smirk drops as well as her expression and she takes a step back.

"What.." She whispers quietly. She sounds a little hurt but i press on. I don't even know why.

"Yeah," I continue pacing the room. My back is to her when I continue, "this place we'll be quieter, less dramatic, less of Rydel screaming. and I get the room to myself. Just perfect"

I turn around with a small chuckle. This was supposed to be a joke. A tease. One where Laura laughs and tells me to shut up and then kisses me... But instead, when I turn around she has tears in her eyes.