~Chapter 7~

Thanks for reading! <3 i edited this and then I lost it all

--------

Zara, guess what day it is.

Why did you wake me up so early? The hospitals not doing one of those surprise checks are they?

Nono, I guess you're so oblivious because you spent the night doing essays and building marshmallow towers.

Oh, today's my birthday isn't it?

~PRESENT~

"Good morning Zara! Guess what time it is? You are officially now 21!"

Another reminder of my birthday popped up, and I nestled further into my pillows to block out the noise.

"What's the fuss?" I mumbled. I heard a sigh, then a mechanical whirring.

"GET UP."

"I'm up! I'm up.." I whined, collapsing back down on the bed. Miki buzzed absentmindedly, while flying around my head. The interior design changed in one sweep to an intricate Victorian layout in wood and yellow.

It was my birthday.

Today.

I could go crazy.

Nobody would blame me.

No one would scold me.

My brain clicked that notion suddenly. I went into fast gear, showering, changing, shaking my hair about.

"Anyway, what would you like for breakfast today?" Her voice rung from outside.

"Anything!"

"Okay! Weather is optimum today and your Crime Coefficient only hit 80 last night! Your hue is still in the light range!"

So you've finally realised, that's nice to know.

I skidded into the kitchen, bright by the morning sunshine, and the food dispenser made a few whirring noises before dropping something.

It was cake.

Wowie that's nice~!! She made this for us?

I flashed the house cat a grateful smile, a thank you, and then the cake was gone.

~TIME SKIP~

My card swiped along the scanner. The beep beep of the door let me know it was authorised. The lights flickered for a bit before turning on fully. My computer also turned on, automatically opening the last tab I had open.

'what's the world record for stacking marshmallows'?

I glanced at the clock. It was 3:30am. Great.

Nobody came quite rightly, so I slowly moved my finger to a blue circle button. I clicked it. The screen almost leaped out of the computer and enlarged three times the size, bringing up extra side panels.

Wow.

You don't sound that impressed by all this! *gasp* There's a measurer for Psycho Pass!

I've seen your dreams.

So what?

I've seen much advanced technology in your dreams.

(I also see all your hopes and dreams, and all your nightmares. It's depressing to know I can't do anything to help you apart from shout in your mind and torment you in nightmare land.)

What was that?

Nothing.

It wasn't really important, but I had never brought the big screen before. It was for people who couldn't quite fit all their work on one little Holo-page, so they enlarged it and added some random touchscreen things and called it the Holo-Board. But still-

The big screen.

Sounds better.

I looked up and tapped a few symbols in the air, awing as the Holo-Board responded. Suddenly I got up and ran to the door, opening it quietly and looking out. No one here yet.

What to do...

What even should I do? There was nothing to do. No vital assignments, no urgent patients, nothing.

Should you-

No.

Maybe you should-

I said no.

Just a sneak peek.

...Fine.

Even if my criminal record wasn't the cleanest, it wasn't like I had any bad intentions. It's just simple human curiosity- right?

My watch beeped, giving me the Iosine tablets for the hour. The calming subsided and after clicking onto the shared area, containing information from every department, my eyes widened.

Oo they're a department of social media!

Ministry of Health

Ministry of Technology

Ministry of Art

Ministry of Music

Ministry of Humanities

Ministry of Archaeology

The list went on forever. My eyelids were starting to droop by the time I had got to the bottom, was there anything that didn't have 'Ministry of' in front of it? I began to close the tab, but stopped when I saw the last file.

[MWPSB]

I pursed my lips. The police. Let's try my luck.

As I clicked onto the file, a large black screen materialised with the words:

ENTER PASSWORD

in the middle.

Before I could even think about hacking into the file, my watch blurted out a warning before injecting me with the sleeping drug.

"Your Crime Coefficient has risen to 80, your mild calming drug will now be injected."

~END~