~Chapter 45~

TYSM FOR 2K READS ILY EVEN IF YOU JUST READ CARRY ON PLS <3 (:

--------

A minute ago, blood trickled from little scratches on my neck. Now, blood was dripping onto the floor. Whatever happened, I just had to get through this damn glass and give that pathetic excuse for a mother what was coming to her.

My knuckles were pounding steadily into the thick barrier, shoed feet doing the same with loud thuds. Flashes of blood sprayed my eyes. The droplets lingered on my glasses and I let them trickle down, not bothering to wipe the blood stains away. A little blood never stopped me before, so why should it stop me now? Not when she had tricked me. She sent me over the edge. She had brought this upon herself.

Everyone had made this happen as well, by just being a bystander. The other spectators in the room were cowering by the back wall, staring in horror at my figure and wincing with every well aimed punch I sent at the glass. Every punch sent a shock through my hand. Every punch made cracks more evident and specks of blood line them.

Every punch brings you closer to her, Zara. I didn't wake up for nothing you know!

Despite my increased stamina and the little 3 inches of glass between us, mother wasn't fazed at all. My eyes were trained on her and only her, with that smug smile on her face that she knew made my blood boil. It was a good thing that Kogami had taken away my watch, because my Crime Coefficient could hit 1000 if she kept this up. I would've been knocked out way earlier.

She was a perfect figure of a mayor. Beautiful, natural and light features without a single blemish. Pencil straight blonde hair which shimmered in the light, I had that as well, however my hair was more brown. A figure that would make most women cry and a facade of a personality that fooled everyone.

Mother's lips moved after a few more punches. I paused for a second to watch her.

She didn't.

After seeing what she had to say, my conscience wasn't the only one swearing. If looks could kill, she would be twitching on the floor.

"Well done, Zara, for showing them how bad you've become. Now everyone's against you."

What I had become? You probably made me like this and you won't admit it.

Of course she did. You should carry on, by the way.

Snapping back into the zone, I clenched my fists and looked around the room. There had to be something to break the glass- but there was nothing in the room! Then, my eyes fell on the middle of the room.

The cookies.

This was perfect. I took the lid in my hands and a cookie in the other. Mother seemed confused for a few seconds, but then replaced it with a smug smile. You don't think I can break through? Watch me.

The cookie was tucked safely into my pocket, and I dragged the lid across the floor to the window. The sickening sound of metal scraping against tile pierced my ears. All it took was a small chuckle from her to send the metal lid hurtling straight towards her.

It met with a refreshing crack, and thudded onto the floor. Shrapnels of glass fell and clanged on the metal. Now I could hear the muffled hums of agitated screams and confused shouts seeping through the cracks, leaving myself more than pleased.

Go on. You'll finally be able to get her!

Almost robotically, I clasped my hands around the slab of metal and pounded it into the glass, the cracks on the whole sheet getting wider by the second. It reminded me of those horror movies when the monster was trying to escape and smashed a wall down.

Smash her down.

Even through the specks of blood and shards of glass, I could see mother clearly getting restless. Her high heels were shuffling and her brow was creased with worry. She was human. Humans can get scared sometimes. She's no exception.

Look at her. It's nice to be in our shoes isn't it?!

Finally, with one hard hit, the glass shattered. I dropped the metal. I stayed motionless, unlike the many screaming leaders on the other side of the non-existent glass. Mother shielded her face from the glass shards, but my mind had  gone blank. I couldn't register the small shards of glass impaling themselves into my hands or the piercing pain in my spine.

She's.. right there.

"I know." I spoke out loud, surprising many in the room.

"Z-Zara." Mothers voice quavered. She stepped backwards, face pale as a sheet. Every step she took backwards, I took over the glass and into the room.

So close.

As soon as mother whispered something fervently into her watch, pain returned in my spine. I winced but carried on walking. Before my foot could even touch the floor again, the overwhelming calm spread through my blood. My actions were halted for a few seconds.

What's going on? Why the hell do I feel so sleepy??

I don't know, I don't know what to do anymore!

You idiot, I was right! There's something in your spine, they just injected you with the calming stuff!

In my spine?

It's probably some stupid safety precaution they forgot to tell us about!

Was it really that? It felt like something more, but this wasn't the time to think about it. Mother had walked forward to face me.

"This is all for you, Zara. This is just for your safety." She patted my back.

Now. Do it!

I pulled a shard of glass from my hand and brandished it in the air, swiping it towards her with fury. She jumped back and brought out a shard of her own. Since when was she armed? She brushed some hair behind her ear, and blocked my next attack towards her.

Can't you just make her run away??

It's not that easy! She's a black belt!

YOU'RE A PSYCHOPATH.

YOU'RE MY CONSCIENCE.

While I was distracted shaking conscience Zara off, mother delivered a kick to my jaw and made me spin around. As I tried to regain my breath, the worst sounds entered my ears.

The electrical buzz.

"Aim carefully and shoot the target."

I didn't even want to look around, but I glanced over my shoulder to see what would end my rage.

******* *****!!

Aw, not again!

"Sorry Zara!"

~END~