~Chapter 36~

I said a hip hop look at the clock

--------

It seemed that staying in the flat was the only way of staying calm. As soon as I took a step outside, somebody was in my face asking why I wasn't in hospital or if I could try one of their food samples. Half of me was surprised, and the other was just shouting threats. It had already been a few weeks since I started staying with Akane, and everything seemed to go back to normal. She was nice. I was nice. It was nice. I could relax around her now.

But out of the corner of my eye, I could always see her give me a look. I wasn't sure what it was...

Sympathy?

Disgust?

Jealousy?

Once I asked her what was wrong, and she just said she wished that I could be happy.

I guess it was sympathy.

Because I couldn't step outside without being mobbed, my job as a psychologist had to be postponed for a while- but the psychologists came to visit me a few times. Kyle and Mels gave me my favourite muffins, and that brightened my day. Jake seemed suspicious of Akane and offered a place at his house, which I kindly declined.

Mother visited to my surprise, but I don't remember what happened. According to Akane, mother said she was just fixing something and I passed out because of the sheer joy I felt from seeing her. Some other people came to the flat as well. I couldn't see who they were but Akane slammed the door on them at least 5 times a week. Were they advertising some random holo-product?

~PRESENT~

"We're going out today." Akane said one day over cereal.

"What? Why?" I put my Cheerios down.

"We need to test something."

"What? Can't we stay here?"

The MWPSB sometimes ran tests on me, but not the extreme testing like in the hospital. It was just how I reacted in different situations like self-defence and so on.

"Your sad version of snapping." She pulled my collar to the door. I hummed in curiosity and walked out the door with her. We walked outside, at least, Akane did. I hid behind the door.

"You can just test me from over here!" I nervously laughed. Akane grabbed my wrist, dragging me into the daylight.

"Hurry up!"

I threw her hand off my wrist before Akane had a finger on a pressure point. I stopped. Then gave up.

"Alright, alright, I'm out-"

Something slapped my cheek and left a burning feeling. The buzz of the city was muffled. I paused to process what had happened. I had been slapped. It hurt.

"I've had enough of you!" Akane's voice broke the silence.

What did I do?

"You only care about yourself! We've been trying to help you this whole time while you've been doing nothing!"

Am I that selfish?

"I'm sorry... I didn't know you felt that way..." My voice wavered. Akane exhaled and looked upwards.

"You know..." Akane seemed to be holding back. I waited for her to deliver the final blow.

"You really are a monster."

~END~