Chapter 19

Made it to 50,000 words in this chapter! Happy days! I'll mark the 50,000 word in bold like this :)

~~~

            Sol was quiet when the Demon girl woke up. The inn both she and Argo were staying at was small and quaint, and no one else seemed to visiting. It made Allegretta uneasy, like the mutants were suddenly going to pop out again.

            She was in a separate room than Argo, which was nice. For once, the Demon had enough privacy to change in the open. It had been a while since both of them had washed their clothes, so after she woke up, Allegretta changed back into the dress she had worn the other night and brought a bundle of clothes downstairs.

            A maid was busily cleaning off a table when Alli stepped into the lobby. She was a plain woman, who looked around her forties. Freckles were sprinkled across her face.

            Allegretta addressed her. “Um, hi. Excuse me?” The maid turned. “Yeah, um, I was wondering where I could wash my clothes.”

            The freckled woman smirked, “just use the pump outside. There’s soap in your rooms.”

            “Thanks.”

            A few minutes later, the Fury was standing outside, her hands already pruning from the cool water. She almost finished washing her pants when a familiar voice called to her. “Allegretta!”

            She turned to see her companion running towards her, his bed hair askew in all different directions.

            “Hey sleepyhead,” Allegretta laughed lightly.

Argo grinned, “Hi. Sorry it took so long for me to get up, I suppose I sleep better in beds than on the ground.”

“Are those the blankets from the Light of Day?”

“Yep, I’m here to wash them.”

Alli waved at him, “Come over here and I’ll wash them for you.”

“Thanks.”

He dropped the blankets on the ground by the pump, and started making his way back inside. The Demon yelled after him, “Get me some breakfast, will ya?”

“Yup!”

The quilts were much harder to clean, and by the time Allegretta was finished, people were starting to emerge from their houses. They all stared at her.

Slowly, the Fury lifted her head and winced from the strain on her back. Bending down for that long was not good for anyone. The wet laundry on her arm, the Demon started making her way towards the door to the inn.

Crack. 

Allegretta let out a cry and fell forward onto her knees, letting the garments fall onto the sandy earth.

A fresh roll of pain rippled through her, and she let out a whimper. A man’s voice called out, “Miss? Are you alright?”

I am most certainly not all right, Allegretta wanted to scream, but held back. Something told her that this had to do with why Giovanni wanted her back in the Light of Day.

After a moment, she called back to the man, “Fine! S-Sorry to trouble you.”

Alli grabbed her wash and hobbled into the inn, ignoring the snide look coming from the maid that was still there, polishing a vase.

The climb up the stairs was awful, each step was more painful than the last, and the laundry was as heavy as a ton of bricks, to make it worse.

When she finally made it into her room, Allegretta ripped her dress off and stared at herself in the mirror. Everything looked fine and dandy, save the expression of pain on her face. That was before she turned around, however.