Chapter 22

School was canceled the next day. I was so bored and I was glad I got a text from Dick.

Dick: hey. You busy today.
Me: nope.
Dick: wanna have lunch?
Me: is this a date?
Dick: yes. You did agree to a date.

I suddenly remembered the feeling I had kissing him in the back of the limo. He was so surprised, even I was surprised. The image in my head suddenly changes to Robin and I kissing. How we sat on that rooftop holding each other for an hour. How the kiss just sort've happened when we hugged.

Dick: Katie? You there?

The images in my head suddenly vanished and I looked at my phone.

Me: yeah I'm here. When's lunch?
Dick: I'll pick you up at 12:00. That ok.
Me: yeah. 12:00 is good.
Dick: cool see you there.

I put down my phone. Then immediately went to my draws and tried to find something that looks good. After a long time I ended up with nothing but a light shirt and jeans. I also put on a faded brown jacket over top because it was kind of cold outside.
By the time I was ready it was 12:00.
I ran out of my bedroom and straight to the front door.

"Where are you going?" Tony yelled as I ran past.

"Friends place" was all I said and I left the apartment.
When I got out the door, Dick was literally about to buzz for the apartment. He stopped when he saw me.

"Katie. Hey" he said.

I was so glad I wasn't dressed well. Because He wasn't dressed so fancy either.

"Hey dick." I said.

"I guess your ready to go."

"I'm always ready" I said.

Dick smiled and held out his hand.

"Well let's go then."

I grabbed his hand and we started walking. As usual some guy decided to follow us thinking he could mug a rich kid. I turned my head back and glared at him. I'd had a run in with this guy before and I think he remembers as well because his eyes widen and he backs off.

"What are you looking at?" Dick asked.

"Some creep"

"Oh. Is he following us?"

"Not anymore." I said.

We continued walking.

"So Katie how weird was that whole adult disappearing thing yesterday." Said dick.

I suddenly remembered Beth. How she'd lost her mother in all that chaos.
Now she's an orphan who will have to grow up being rejected by every parent that goes in to adopt a child.

"Katie?"

My brain suddenly came back to the present.

"What?" I said.

"The adults disappeared. Remember?"

"It's pretty hard to forget something like that Dick."

"Heh. Yeah. I guess it is."

Dick had already chosen the destination and was taking me there.
We arrived at a small diner.
Weird, I thought, it was the same diner Robin and I went to.
All thought left my head and I turned to the building on the other side of the street.
And that's where we kissed.