Chapter Nine

With my body pressed against his and my head resting on his chest I wasn’t worried about anything. I drifted into a deep sleep allowing my heavy limbs to recuperate after Rios antics. I can’t have been asleep more than fifteen minutes before his phone ringing pierced my ears. I could tell he had been asleep too by the way he answered the call. He was instantly pissed.

“Do you know what time it is?... Fam what do you want?... Nah I’m home...bruv stop stalling what you got for me!” I kept my eyes closed listening to Rio’s agitated husky voice. I could hear a male voice but it wasn’t familiar to me and I couldn’t make out what they were saying. Rio listened for a second and then kissed his teeth. “You’re not listening cuz I ain’t leaving my yard I’m with my girl... Bruv just tell me what’s up?” Whatever the person on the other end of the line said grabbed his attention cos he sat up easing me off of his chest and lowering me onto the bed before walking to his window on the far side of the room. I was freezing without him pressed against me but this wasn’t my main issue. I continued to listen to his convo as he spoke in his hushed tones. “Are you sure fam?... Who told you?... So he rolls with them man now?... Cuz I swear he set me up I ain’t joking when I see him I’m licking his face off he's a paigon... Nah I don’t wanna hear it he's getting clapped just find out where this Michael boy lives fam... Yea did you check on my brother yea?... Yea keep him out of trouble fam I don’t wanna hear no shit about me has reached his ears...cool cool...yea safe bruddah...in a bit.”

I know knew why Rio was regarded as a bit of a loose cannon. He sounded like a murderer for sure, and at 15? He kissed his teeth again and I waited for him to return to the bed but he didn’t. I opened one eye and waited for it to adjust in the dark. My eyes focused on his silhouette over by the window. He was leaning on the window frame looking out and he looked pissed as hell. Was it wrong that I thought he was gorgeous? He was just beautiful. I pulled back the covers and eased out of the bed. The soft carpet tickled my feet as I padded over to where he stood and ran my fingers down his back through his vest. His head jerked in my direction and he smiled sheepishly.

“Sorry princess did I wake you up?” he asked apologetically but I shook my head knowing that he didn’t look like he needed any more on his plate and he grinned.  “Liar,” he teased tucking me under his arm and continuing to stare out the window. “One day me and you are gonna get away from all this madness Shy. Imma show you the better side of life I promise.” I smiled up at him and nodded I knew words weren’t really needed. He just needed to talk. He squeezed me to him and then pushed himself off the window. “Let’s sleep baby,” he said quietly kissing me tenderly. I nodded again before allowing him to walk me slowly back to his bed. He patted my bum indicating I should climb up and laid down beside me pulling me in close.  I fell asleep replaying the phone conversation in my head and feeling uneasy.

The next morning I woke up to someone knocking on Rios door. He grumbled in his sleep and the door flew open. Carina, Kayla, Chris and Cody all burst in like the police and started talking at once.

“Morning sleepy heads.”

“You man get up.”

“Do you know what time it is?”

“Omg you guys are so adorable but please get up we been waiting for you for time and I’m starving, who is cooking breakfast, I’m so down for a bacon sandwich not even a fry up.”

You already know which one was Kayla. I giggled and hid my face in Rio’s vest I must look a hot mess. Rio was still half asleep but pulled me closer and kissed me on my neck.

“Morning,” he said his deep voice sounding super sexy in his husky tired voice. I went bright red knowing everyone saw it. The collective awwws were proof of that. “Kayla get off my foot man,” he said sitting up. I laughed at Kayla who was sitting on the end of the bed looking at us. As Chris inspected the contents of Rios shoe stand, Cody and Carina were talking to each other lovingly by the door and I smiled as I sat up also. “What can’t a don get any privacy?” Rio asked realising he was in his boxers and pulling the covers over himself a little more. I giggled and lay back down and Rio turned round to give me a dirty look. “Is it funny Shy? Is it really?” he said reaching over and tickling me I screamed and squealed with laughter and got up as quickly as I could. He was now the only one on the bed as we all stood staring at him and he kissed his teeth. “You really want me to stand up in boxers fam?” he grunted warning the boys and Cody and Chris both complained.