Chapter Eight

We sat on the wall waiting for the cab to arrive in silence. I could not believe what had just taken place. Rio stood beside me resting his back on the wall. I could see him staring at me from the corner of my eye but chose to ignore him. He took his hat off and brushed down his waves before he replaced it in the same position. Carina and Kayla were talking quietly discussing what had happened and I just sat there staring down the road. I heard Carina whisper that Lacey deserved it for being such a tramp and wondered for the hundredth time why she had been with Rio. The image of him leaned up against the pillar with her standing in between his legs with her hand on his arm made me feel sick. Why didn’t he brush her off? Tell her to move on? I just didn’t get it.

“Baby?” his deep voice was quiet and low and I could tell he was trying to talk to me without being within earshot of Carina and Kayla. I didn’t even acknowledge his presence. His voice was just like shards of glass in my brain, I couldn’t take it right now. “Shy” he whispered a little louder but I kept my composure. He stepped closer and tried to make eye contact but I dropped my eyes down to stare into my lap. I saw him ball his hands into tight fists but still didn’t react. “It’s not what you think. Please…” he began and his voice just pissed me off. I looked up at him with venom in my eyes.

“Rio, I am this close to calling my dad and going home, I don’t want to hear your excuses. Please just leave me alone.” I spat and then looked back down the road. He put his hands on the wall and hung his head low. I could tell he was pissed but I couldn’t care less. Finally a black car slowed in front of us and I eased off the wall. This ain't no cab, I thought looking at the sleek expensive looking car. The window slowly rolled down to show Jamal at the wheel. I stepped back and looked down, my face heating uncontrollably.

“I see all that drama still, you alright?” he asked concerned and I shot him a dirty look.

“I’m fine.” I could see Rio from the corner of my eye staring back and forth between Jamal and I and felt guilty and then even more angry at myself for feeling guilty after what I just saw.

“You sure? You want a lift or anything?” he carried on and before I could respond Rio jumped in.

“She said she's fine” he barked staring straight into Jamal's face with a murderous glare. Oh shit. Jamal held the eye contact for a while and then laughed in Rio's face before speeding off. Ugh that laugh sounded evil. “What was that?” Rio demanded switching to look at me and I shrugged walking past a gobsmacked Kayla and Carina towards the cab that had just pulled up. The journey to Rio's was tense. Nobody said a word and even the cab man kept throwing nervous glances at Rio. He had a face like thunder sitting in the front seat and was struggling to contain himself. I knew he was trying to wait till he got home to confront me and the idea just made me want to go home. I had done nothing wrong. After forever came and went we reached Rio's house and he slapped ten pound in the cab man’s hand before yanking the door open and slamming it shut. He marched to the house and opened it wide to let the girls in and then went straight upstairs. I kicked off my shoes and went to get my bag from the front room. Carina and Kayla were discussing the nights events whilst watching TV but I was in no mood to chat. They both wished me luck with Rio and told me to hear him out at least and I said goodnight before climbing the stairs. He was coming down the stairs with pillows and blankets and I kept a straight face as I walked past. I went straight into the bathroom and brushed my teeth before removing my makeup and washing my face. I then went into Rio's room and pulled out the same tracksuit I wore last time and pulled it on. It was so warm and smelt of him; I felt like crying at today’s events. He's so perfect, why does this have to be a part of him? I leaned my hands on his chest of drawers and lowered my head as I let the tears fall. I didn’t even hear him enter the room, it wasn’t until his strong arms pulled me to him that I was aware of his presence. I really didn’t want him to see me cry. I tried to push away from him but he was too strong.