Leaving

Laurence's PoV
I was awoken to the loud sound of a door being forcefully slammed somewhere in the appartment and slowly, I opened my eyes and sat up on the leather sofa, rubbing my tired eyes as I did so, trying to rid them of sleep yet all I wanted to do was shut them and ignore the drama that was sure to come crashing through the living room at any minute, threatening to disturb the peace that had fallen happily upon it. Beside me, kier lay on his side, snuggled under a thin blanket, still peacefully asleep and I just hoped that whoever was in such a terrible mood wouldn't wake him up with their loud anger.

Just from the way the door had slammed, so loudly and forcefully, it was clear that somebody, somewhere in the small house, had an argument, which had resulted in one of them getting so fed up by the whole ideal that they had simply stormed out, unable to take it anymore, wanting to get some space to clear their angry mind.

It had been a while since anyone in the house had a proper argument that hadn't been a joke or about something completely ridiculous, as, most of the time, we all got along perfectly well. Yet, every so often, things would simply become too much and two of us would end up taking our anger out on each other, resulting in a huge argument that festered for days and somehow managed to drag everyone in the house into it, in some way or another. Everyone would be forced to take sides and then their choice would be criticised by the others, so that the argument carried on for longer. Yet, despite everything that would happen in those hellish few days, people seldom won and within a week, the whole turmoil would be happily forgotten as we continued to live our lives in harmony, as though nothing had ever happened at all.

At first, I assumed it was one of the timids and pilnahn who had been fighting, due to the fact that the timids seemed to be the only ones in the house who never, under any circumstances, fought one another, due to their closeness and timid natures. However, once I saw pilnahns still sleeping body draped on the armchair opposite the sofa me and kier occupied, I knew that something was wrong between the timids, and terribly so. After all, Drew was so sensitive he couldn't really fight anyone or stay mad at them for too long and Shane was so besotted for the smaller boy that he would instantly stop shouting and screaming the moment Drew shed a single tear or showed any sign of upset, which was completely inevitable in an argument between them.

The timids were usually the ones who kept the fragile peace in the house and stopped most of the arguments from happening before the escalated to full scale rows. On the occasions when they couldn't and everyone found themselves stupidly taking sides, they were always sure to take the same side as each other and after a few days, it would be Shane who forced everyone into the cosy living room to talk things out, claiming that all the arguing between us was upsetting his little timid. After all, There had only been one time when Shane and Drew hadn't instantly taken the same side, just after Drew had first moved in to the house,  and it seemed to break both boys to be apart, stuck on rivalling teams. Eventually, it got to them so much that Shane admitted he was wrong and switched to the same side as Drew, even though he still secretly thought that kier was right, not me.

We had thought that the timids had never argued in their lives and that they never would yet, as Shane stormed angrily into the living room, hauling a large, black suitcase behind him, it was clear that something awful had happened between the two of them.

"Shane, what's going on?" I questioned sleepily, my voice still slightly groggy due to the fact that I had only just woken up from my peaceful slumber, minutes prior to Shanes entrance. Once Shane had realised that somebody else in the house was awake, in the same room and was talking to him, he turned around and sighed shakily, faking a smile, trying to act as though nothing was wrong at all, even though he clearly knew I suspected something.

"Nothing Laurence, I'm just moving out. I have loved staying here with you guys, I really have, but I think it's about time that I moved on. I may move back in with my parents for a while, just until I manage to find a place of my own somewhere" he explained calmly, though at certain points in his speech, his voice wavered sadly and betrayed his fragile emotions that he was trying desperately to keep in, like he always did when he was upset or worried. He used to complain constantly about Drew doing the exact same thing as this and hiding his feelings, yet Shane did the same thing when he was upset. They really were more alike than they cared to admit and to see them argue to the extent that Shane wanted to leave Drew for good practically broke me heart. They had only just gotten together yet a cruel fate decided that they should both only receive two months of happiness together.