Chapter 15

After that Luke leads me up to his bedroom so we can use his computer for our project. His room is mostly clean with some clothes strewn across the floor and his bed unmade and a couple of empty soda cans. I set my stuff down and flop onto his bed. “Luke your bed is so comfortable! I could just lay here for hours.” I say enjoying how comfortable his bed is. “That could be arranged” Luke says jokingly and we both laugh. “So captain what should we start on?” Luke says sitting next to me on the bed. I sit up and brush my hair back into place with my fingers. “How about we just go in order of the rubric that way we don’t miss anything.” I suggest. Luke agrees and I pull my Spanish stuff out of my backpack. We work on the first part of the assignment for an hour and then we both lose our focus. “Do you have any ice cream?” I ask out of nowhere. “You know it is really funny that you would ask that because I was seriously just thinking about ice cream” Luke says swerving the desk chair around to face me. “Great minds think alike” I say giving him a playful wink. “Okay how about we take a little break from all this work and go eat some ice cream.” Luke says standing up. We rush downstairs and he scoops us each a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream. “Hey Luke I was wondering if maybe sometime you could show me a little bit on the guitar. I’ve always wanted to know how to play.” I say in between the mouthfuls of deliciousness. “Yeah of course, but I have to warn you it takes a while to really get into it.” He says excitedly. “Thanks, but I’m warning you I have almost no musical ability whatsoever” I reply. “Hey we could start now if you would like?” Luke suggests. “Yeah that’d be cool” I say getting excited. We finish up our ice cream and head into the basement to get his guitar. “Okay just sit right there and hold the guitar like this” Luke says placing the guitar in my lap. “Okay now let me show you a few chords.” He says positioning my fingers on the neck of the guitar. He shows me a couple chords that I probably won’t remember and I try to play them and after one or two tries I am able to get them all. “Do you see five seconds of summer making it big one day?” I say taking my hands off the guitar. “I would like to yes and I have a really good feeling about it” he replies. He takes the guitar from my hands and looks at me for a second. “Here tell me what you think of this” he says before beginning to play.

A drop in the ocean

A change in the weather

I was praying that you and me might end up together

It’s like wishing for rain as I stand in the dessert

But I’m holding you closer than most ‘cause you are my heaven

He sets down the guitar and leans into me. His lips press onto mine before I have any idea of what is going on. Then he gently pulls back as a blush rises on his face. I just kind of sit there dumbly because my brain is having trouble processing everything. Did he just freaking kiss me? I look up at him and his bright eyes and I start to say something but nothing comes out. He leans in again and gently presses his lips against mine. He cups my face with his hand and our lips start to move as one. Then he gently pulls away again and his face is unreadable. “Sorry” he whispers after a second. He was a good kisser that is for sure. “I forgive you” I whisper back. “Did you feel anything? A spark? Anything at all?” he asks after a second. I bite my lip not wanting to answer. I really liked Luke he was a great friend and all, but that is just it. He is a friend. “Look we can forget it ever happened” Luke said trying to brush it all off. I wanted it to work. He would be a great boyfriend. He is kind, smart, attractive, sings like a god and many other great things. And for some reason I lean into him and press my lips against his. We move our lips gaining force as we go and I throw my arms around his neck and he cups my face with one hand and holds my waist with his other. Then we both pull away. “Did you feel it?” I ask staring into his eyes. “As much as I would have liked to, I just didn’t” he says while fluffing his hair. “Me neither” I say looking at the lips that I just kissed. “Let’s just keep this between us okay” Luke says. “Okay it will be our little secret” I say winking at him. We both laugh and the room slowly relaxes. I check the time on my phone. “I should probably be heading home now.” I say standing up. “Yeah let’s go grab your things.” Luke says as I follow him back to his room. I grab my stuff and he walks me to the door. “See you at school” I say before giving him a quick hug. “Yeah see ya” he says quietly as I walk out to my truck.