Chapter 36

“Read this. I know you won’t know everything, but after you read it I can fill in the gaps. I handed the letter that I had shoved into my purse to Luke. He read it and I read his face. “I’m not exactly sure I understand.” Luke says looking at me like he is missing the whole plot to a movie. “My real name is Melody Banks. This letter was written from my mother to me. My family fled the country and changed our identities in order to avoid some trouble in America. My father works for the government and some powerful enemies have been targeting him for information. We relocated here for safety and my brother changed his identity and went off to an out of state college. The bad guys found him out and are holding him hostage.” I say with my voice breaking near the end. “So that is why he wasn’t answering your calls or texts?” Luke says as the realization hits him. “Exactly” I say wiping up the tears from my face. “So you are planning to go back to America to go do what?” he says still sort of confused. “I haven’t exactly figured out that part yet. I was thinking that I could talk to father’s boss and go from there, but I can’t just sit here and hope for the best. My brother was everything to me.” I say as the tears start again. Luke pulls me into a hug. “You know you remind me so much of him” I say into his shoulder. “How about you give it a week to sort yourself out and get some money and this time next week you and I will be on a plane to America.” Luke says pulling out of the hug and looking at me. I shrug and nod and he wipes the tears off my face. “You are too good to me Luke.” I say laughing a little. He gives me a goofy smile and we both laugh. “Well I have to get home. I will pack my stuff and you better not leave without me or I will shoot Calum in the foot and you know how bad my aim is so you might not want to take any chances” Luke says before lowering himself out of my window. I laugh, wave goodbye and pull the ladder back into my room once he leaves.

          At school on Monday morning I notice that Violet isn’t sitting in her usual seat and that Nancy had switched desks with her. “Morning Kay” Ashton says brightly as I sit in my usual seat. “Well I notice Violet has changed desks.” I kind of mumble. “Yeah after our break up it would be awkward to sit near each other. So do you mind if I sit with you at lunch?” Ashton asks. “No I don’t mind you sitting with me at lunch, but I do mind you lying to me” I say acidly. “Lying to you? I never lied to you” Ashton says pretending like he doesn’t know. “Oh give it a rest! I saw you making out with Violet at the picnic this weekend right after you told me your sob story of how you guys broke up.” I say hearing the hurt in my voice. “Oh gosh! Look I wasn’t making out with her. She came on to me because she wanted me back. I pushed her away and made it very clear that we were absolutely done for.” Ashton says defending himself. “That isn’t what I saw. You know I wasn’t forcing you to break up with her so I have no idea why you would go through all the trouble of putting up this act for me because I honestly couldn’t care less.” I retort. “That’s exactly why it only makes sense for me to tell the truth. Honestly you are the last person I would ever want to hurt. You helped me man up and break up with Violet and I am so much better for it now.” Ashton says pleadingly. I sigh and the bell rings to start class. Ashton sat with us at lunch and it was kind of awkward because I didn’t feel like talking to him, the boys didn’t even really know him and Grace was the only one talking to him. Needless to say it was very awkward.