Chapter 19

I arrive at Luke’s house, stuff my Harry Potter eight disc movie collection into my purse and make my way to his front door. Before I can even knock or ring the doorbell Mrs. Hemmings opens the door. “Hello sweetie. I saw your truck pull up. They have been waiting for you to start movie night.” She says as we both walk through the door. “Thank you Mrs. Hemmings. Are they downstairs?” I ask. She nods and I make my way down the stairs stepping on every single creaky step on that whole staircase. “Hey guys” I say once I reach the bottom. “Finally! I was just about to call you.” Michael says as they all get up from their seats and hug me one by one. “I didn’t hear the doorbell. Is it broken?” Luke said after a moment. “I wouldn’t know your mom let me in before I could get to it.” I explain. The boys made a few comments about how awesome Mrs. Hemmings is and we all plop down on the furniture. Calum takes a seat in the beanbag chair and I squeeze in between Michael and Luke on the couch. “So what are we watching boys? And Kaylee” Calum asks looking embarrassed that he forgot about me. “Let’s let Kaylee pick.” Michael suggests. “Michael, I’m not in the mood for a chick flick right now.” Calum whines. “Oh suck it up hood. It’s her first movie night here and I don’t want to scare her off.” Luke says throwing a pillow at Calum. Calum throws it back and it goes over our heads and onto the floor. “Nice throw” Luke says mocking him. Calum sticks his tongue out at him. “I brought over my Harry Potter movies if y’all want to watch that.” I suggest. Shoot, I said y’all again! The boys look around at each other and we come to an agreement. “Let’s watch the first two tonight and we can finish them this weekend at the lake.” Calum suggests as he puts the first one in Luke’s DVD player. About fifteen minutes into the movie I can tell Michael is losing focus. “Wow Kaylee” he says looking over at me. “What?” I ask defensively. “You are just sitting over there mouthing out every single line of the whole movie” he explains as Luke and Calum turn to look at me. “What it is a good movie” I say further defending myself. “I knew something was up when she just happened to have the whole collection conveniently with her.” Calum says. “I bet you she carries it with her everywhere.” Michael says continuing the ridicule. “You all better watch it before I whip out an illegal curse on you” I warn playing along. “What do you have your wand in your purse with you too?” Luke says joining in on the fun. “No of course not!” I protest. “It’s at home” I whisper. They all laugh at me and Calum opens his mouth, but I interrupt him. “I’m trying to watch a movie here!” I yell and they all quiet down and I smile a sweet smile pretending I’m innocent. I wish I had somebody to cuddle with. I can’t cuddle with Luke because of the kiss because I don’t want to lead him on and I can’t cuddle with Michael because I wouldn’t want to do that to Luke. So I try my best to be comfortable all awkwardly in the middle. Halfway into the second movie it is completely unavoidable considering how tired I am.

          I wake up to a sudden brightness in the room and I pull the blanket over my eyes. Blanket? Since when did I have a blanket? “Wake up Kaylee” I hear beside my head and I let out a sleepy moan. “No seriously though. You already won’t be able to drive yourself home because it is past curfew.” Luke says to me. I spring up. “What it is already past curfew?” I say grabbing for my phone. Luke hands me my phone and I smile up at him. “I called your mom for you telling her you would be home late.” He explains. “Where is everybody else?” I ask looking around the room. “Michael went home and Calum is asleep in my bed upstairs. Apparently he is sleeping over.” Luke says helping me up. I run my fingers through my hair and I can tell that I look absolutely awful. “Oh gosh I bet I look worse than Hagrid’s beard right now.” I say gathering my stuff. “I already put your movie collection back in your bag so there is no need to panic” Luke reassures me before the worry even crosses my mind. “My mom will drop you off at your house. I can come with you if you want.” Luke says as we walk up the stairs. “It’s your call” I mumble because I’m not even one hundred percent sure of what he just said. “Good morning sweetie” Mrs. Hemmings says jokingly once Luke and I get into her car. “Hey Luke I don’t even have your phone number.” I say realizing that. I have no idea why tiredness makes me think of the most random stuff but I do need his number. He slides my phone out of my hand and puts his contact info into it and slides it back to me. “Thanks” I say giving him a sleepy smile. I direct Luke’s mother on how to get to my house and once we get to my house Luke walks me up to my door. “Thanks for having me over. Sorry I fell asleep and tell your mother thanks and that I’m sorry she had to stay up so late to drive me home.” I say before giving him a hug. He gives nice hugs. “You smell good” I say mid hug. “Thanks” he says with a shy smile as we pull away. I walk into my house and straight up to my room to sleep. I am going to be miserable at school tomorrow.